XGL - Mandriva 2007 Free - Nvidia - Howto

drbenway

Hi.

I have just checked out Mandriva 2007 - It is really quite nice, however you cannot setup XGL on nvidia card with the 2007 Free version unless you download the nvidia drivers from the PLF (the offical drivers from Nvidia.com do not work with the 3D desktop setting in the control centre - it may be possible to manually edit config files!)

Here are the steps i used to get it working from a fresh install :-

1. Add urpmi media using easy urpmi - i.e

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.belnet.be/linux/mandrake/offici...586/media/main/ with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.u-strasbg.fr/pub/linux/distribu...6/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ree/2007.0/i586 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ree/2007.0/i586 with hdlist.cz

2. Install nvidia driver

-you can use the mandriva control centre to choose the packages

nvidia-8774-plf

dpms-nvidia-8774

3. setup nvidia driver

After drivers are installed you can install them by typing (as root)

XFdrake

- now select your card - this should be done automatically but please check.

- save settings and reboot - you may not need to but sometimes the nvidia module doesn't load until a reboot.

4. Check nvidia 3d is working

Test the 3D by trying to run a game/screensaver

5. Enable XGL

- login to MCC

- choose hardware - configure 3D desktop effects

you should be able to choose XGL

- reboot and you should have a shiny 3D desktop

It is very speedy on my Card - Geforce 4200 - however i was unable to play certain 3D games , I have solved this issue in Gentoo by using AIGLX and the latest nvidia drivers - see http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_nVidia_GL_Desktop_Effects

- This may also work with ATI (download the ATI driver instead of Nvidia)

- let me know if i have made any errors in this and I shall edit it,

Cheers

Edited by drbenway

Thanks for taking the time to document all of your efforts drbenway.

I am a lowly Mandriva 2005 user, so I have no way of checking whether your post has errors or omissions. No 3D desktop for me :D .

But I do appreciate your post and the time you spent putting it together. We normally do not see this kind of effort from a newcomer like yourself.

Edited by daniewicz

Guest mirkuma

@drbenway:

Thanks for your tips...But I have a problem now...

I have changed driver to VESA, uninstall nvidia and nvidia legacy drivers & kernels....

Added your urpmi sources...but cant find any nvidia nvidia-8774-plf and dpms-nvidia-8774 in control panel when trying to installi new drivers.

Can you help me I'm stuck with ugly vesa mode now.

EDIT: Nevermind it is fixed now....but didn't solve my problem...more info about my problem:

http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewtopic.p...a8f1b05088ad84a

Edited by mirkuma

Hi.

Check you urpmi sources add added correctly for PLF and contrib - i have changed the links in the post now so there are the full URL.

possibly remove your urpmi sources then re-add them, also check to see if you can download other PLF packages.

Also my guide is writen for Mandriva 2007 Free OSS - not the live CD which already has the nvidia drivers on the CD.

Hope this helps.

Guest mirkuma

Thanks for helping me. I have found Nvidia settings now after driver reinstall...this was not in the menu before...

It seems GF4 440 MX is not supported in those drivers correctly...I can start 3D desktop as you stated above but desktop has many bugs on my card one of them is that windows menu borders are gone (no minimize, no "x" close button), so using 3D is useless to me...And after reboot X hangs...I must disable 3D desktop to enter X agin...but if I boot live One CD 3D desktop works great...don't know how to fix that in installed version...maybe I wil try free 2007 version and your tips to see if this works.

Here are some urpmi sources also:

http://www.mandrivaclub.nl/urpmiweb/

Edit:

After some tests: old and new drivers cant run OpenGL based games and applications...Will try to fix this before, enabling 3D desktop...

Edited by mirkuma

• 2 weeks later...

you'd think I could get this working ... but no :(

the plf rpms won't load for whatever reason ....

I've insalled the beta 9xxx drivers from nvidia.com .. but glx/compiz just gives me a plain white screen .. damn it

Thank you for your efforts with XGL. With much frustration I cannot achieve the XGL effect. There are 2 problems:

1. XFdrake attempts to reinstall the standard nvidia driver

2. When I reboot, any changes made to xorg.conf have been removed, as if I didn't save it!

The live CD is such a beauty that I had to try it! I have XGL working very well with Debian so I am not entirely new to it. :wall:

• 2 months later...

Thanks a lot for the howto. I tried this last night and the rpm's failed to install.

I have previously updated from the *-5 kernel on the install DVD to the *-6 kernel rpm.

When I selected the rpm's specified above fo install, a package kernel-tmb-source was selected. This was a package for a *-13 kernel it seems.

Then, when the installation failed, I looked for a kernel-tmb-source*-6 package, which I couldnt find.

I then looked if I could upgrade to a corresponding *-13 kernel, but there was none.

Am I approaching this incorrectly ?

• 7 months later...
Guest huahsin68

Hi guys,

The link is not working. I have browse through the directory and I found there are hdlist everywhere. But I couldn't find the 2007 folder there. May I know which hdlist.cz I should use?

THanks @!