cannot connect to windows network neighborhood

Guest thomas_newbie

Guest thomas_newbie

i need to share files on my mandriva one notebook when i go to the office. the office computers have win xp. apparently this is done through samba, but when i go from desktop, double click 'devices' and then i have the options of : 'local network' 'samba shares' and 'network services'.

if i double click 'local network' i get the following error box:

The lisa daemon does not appear to be running. In order to use the LAN browser the Lisa daemon must be installed and activated by the system administrator.'

if i double click 'samba shares, i get the following error box:

'unable to find any workgroups in your local network'

if i double click 'network services' i get an empty window.

apparently i need to configure something since nothing is detected. can you help me configure whatever i need? i have tried looking in this forum, but replies use the command line, and i am not familiar with how to use that.

any directions would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

how do I conect my Mandriva 2006 Free to a local area network, so I can see the shared folders, asuming all the other computers run on Windows XP... how can I connect as a client for Microsoft Networks... (this is my second day Using Linux...)

Trough the same network i connect to the internet. no problems connecting.

You can open u konqueror from your desktop if using kde, and just type in the url:

smb://machine_ip/sharename

should normally do the trick - has worked for me in the past, and I don't use lisa. Edit /etc/hosts to resolve machine names to ip addresses if you prefer.

OH, and check the FAQ section on this board, there's a bit in networking about samba, follow this to go further if the above doesn't work.