Stuck at computing dependencies

ianalis

Hi!

I am trying to upgrade my mdv2006 to mdv2007 using the free version. However, the installer is stuck at computing dependencies. I tried rpm --rebuilddb and reinstalling again but it didn't work. My box is KDE 3.5.4 and was upgraded using MDE. I think I experienced the same problem when I upgraded to a newer version of KDE from the stock KDE of mdv2006. I worked around it by using smart.

Any suggestions on how I can solve this problem?

You also have the change from xorg 6.9 to xorg 7 which is modular now, and not sure how well an upgrade will work.

Saying that, I tested it in VMware from 2006 to 2007 and it worked but I don't use mde stuff.

Use Smart again? :unsure:

I can also do that but I prefer the installer because it runs several configuration scripts. I suppose the installer does a

urpmi --auto --auto-select

during an upgrade. What are the other commands called by the installer?

Remove all the MDE stuff first and then try the upgrade again.

Hmm... does that mean I should downgrade first to mdv2006 base install? :o

Edited by ianalis

Upgrading can always be problematic, and even when they work successfully, sometimes you get niggling problems.

I've just clean installed my system at home, after moving 30GB of data to another machine whilst I did it to ensure a clean install. This is your best way forward considering your predicament. As I said, I did an upgrade of 2006 in vmware and it worked, but I didn't complicate things by having mde stuff installed as well.

Your upgrade is trying to compute dependencies from 3rd party rpm's, which it cannot figure out. My install was a true Mandriva system, no third party stuff. Probably why it worked.

I've moved your duplicate post from Mandriva Enhanced rpms. It's not good to double-post the same problem - only confuses people.

I've moved your duplicate post from Mandriva Enhanced rpms. It's not good to double-post the same problem - only confuses people.

Sorry for that. The replies seem to suggest that I should be asking the guys at MDE.

Anyway, here's what I did. I added the Mdv2007 installation files to smart then as root:

telinit 3
smart upgrade

After that, I reboot to Mdv2007 Installation CD 1 and chose the upgrade option. I had trouble with xorg such that I can't run X after rebooting. What I did was to install xorg related packages specially those that are still MDE. For some packages, I did a rpm -ivh --force to force installation because urpmi thinks that the mde packages are newer than the mdv2007 ones.

I also encountered a problem with kdm. One way to solve it is to drakedm and choose gdm. Another way is to replace /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc with /etc/kde/kdmrc.rpmnew.

The text in gnome might appear as boxes. To solve this,

sudo pango-querymodules-32 > /etc/pango/i386/pango.modules

You can install etc-update, or replace the .conf files with the .conf.rpmnew files to fix any problems you're experiencing. This is good for upgrades to ensure the functionality of the new os takes place.

etc-update is an app you can install, that will do most of the hard work for you, you just say y/n for replacing whatever files.