Trouble with Wolfenstein

Guest JaseP

Guest joehill

click

Sys_Error: Couldn't load default.cfg / Sys_Error: FS_FreeFile( NULL )

If you get one of these errors after installing Quake III Arena or Return To Castle Wolfenstein, it means that the engine didn't find all the required .pk3 files. Either you didn't copy them, or you copied them to the wrong place. Check the INSTALL instructions for the game for more details, make sure they are in baseq3/ for quake3 (missionpack/ for TA files) and main/ for Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

this is a very common error. I myself experienced it several times. In my case, I installed the update in Win and in Linux and found that the Linux update had not provided one particular file. Here is the full list in my /usr/local/games/wolfenstein.

mp_bin.pk3

mp_pak1.pk3

mp_pak3.pk3

mp_pak5.pk3

mp_pakmaps1.pk3

mp_pakmaps3.pk3

mp_pakmaps5.pk3

pak0.pk3

sp_pak2.pk3

sp_pak4.pk3

mp_pak0.pk3

mp_pak2.pk3

mp_pak4.pk3

mp_pakmaps0.pk3

mp_pakmaps2.pk3

mp_pakmaps4.pk3

mp_pakmaps6.pk3

sp_pak1.pk3

sp_pak3.pk3

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JaseP

MY linux installation only has the original 6 that it requires you to move over:

pak0.pk3

mp_pak0.pk3

mp_pak1.pk3

mp_pak2.pk3

sp_pak1.pk3

sp_pak2.pk3

Could this be the problem, and where can I get the .pk3 files if they are required???

Guest joehill

do you have windows installed? run the windows wolf point release and see if there are extra .pk3s in there, if I remember correctly that is where I found them when I was getting that "could not find default.cfg" error.

JaseP, have you tried to downgrade your nvidia drivers? sorry if this has already been covered in the thread, I just gave it a quick browse. i know that when i tried to use the latest drivers they hosed me a couple of times so I am back to using I think 31.23 or something. 29.50 were also very stable.

Guest JaseP

I was actually using the drivers that came on the commecial programs CD from Mandrake 8.2's release. Now I am using 31.23. One thing I have am doing is using the stock i386 GLX (I was using the i586 GLX in version 28.02). Do you think there will be more stability if I use the SRPMs to make an i586 version of GLX???

Guest JaseP

Here's an update...

I downloaded the 1.4 full version of the Linux executable (the 70.1 Meg job). Result,... extra pk3 files... same lock-up.

I have to note that I use AGPgart rather than native AGP. My chipset on my Mo Bo is the KT333, which is not fully supported, so native AGP is out. AGPgart is all I can get away with. Is there a command line switch for the Linux Wolf executable to specify no AGP??? Maybe that will work...

As for the kernel and GLX I also use the matching pair of RPMs that nVidia produces for the various distro versions. I always pick up the Mandy 8.2 ones (at least for the kernel, the GLX is generic). I WAS using the 28.02 version that cam on the Commercial CD disks from Mandrake. They are a matching pair of i586 binaries. Same lock-up as when I use the newer (but not newest) 31.23 version which is i586 kernel and i386 GLX. So I don't think that's the problem. I think my problem is lack of a library or incompatible library file. How do I check dependencies of a binary without actually running it???

all i have in my main directory is the following

cgamei386.so mp_pakmaps0.pk3 rotate.cfg uii386.so

cgame.mp.i386.so mp_pakmaps1.pk3 scripts/ ui.mp.i386.so

mp_bin.pk3 mp_pakmaps4.pk3 sp_pak1.pk3*

mp_pak3.pk3 qagamei386.so sp_pak2.pk3*

mp_pak4.pk3 qagame.mp.i386.so sp_pak3.pk3*

this is after copying the 6 .pk3 files from my GOTY cd's and installing all the upgrades

Guest JaseP

Actually I was thinking,...

Is there a command line switch to turn off DMA usage by the game??? I would probably have a little success there. DMA is the real problem with the KT333