Trouble with Wolfenstein

Guest JaseP

Guest JaseP

I just got a copy of Wolfenstein (original box not Game of the Year edition).

I downloaded the 1.33 and 1.41 Linux point releases.

I installed the 1.33 release, then

I used WineX (at first wouldn't accept my CD Key, eventually it did) to install the Win version of Wolfenstein. From the Win version I copied the pk3 files to the /usr/local/games/wolfenstein/main/ directory.

Then I ran the 1.41 release.

Running wolf, I get the launcher, when I try to run a single player game, I get to the launch screen, but the game locks up when trying to run the first level... sometimes before I get the screen with the presidential seal and the flags in the background.

Does anyone know what is wrong???

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh?

why would you have to use winex for anything?

you just create the wolfenstein and wolfenstein/main directory copy the .pk3 files from the cd to the main directory then run the patches. You don't even need to enter the cd key to play the single player.

mind you i have the goty edition

install instructions

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/wolf/

what are you saying that the files aren't in .pk3 format on the cd?

===================================

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

IMPORTANT INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

===================================

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

This setup will install the linux binaries for Return To Castle Wolfenstein (Multiplayer and Single Player) in /usr/local/games/wolfenstein (or any other location you request). It WON'T INSTALL ALL THE FILES REQUIRED TO RUN RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN. You will need to manually copy a number of files to the /usr/local/games/wolfenstein/main directory.

The procedure is different wether you have a retail win32 Wolfenstein CD-ROM, or wether you have the Wolfenstein GOTY edition. See below for the appropriate instructions:

Installing from a retail win32 Wolfenstein CD-ROM:

--------------------------------------------------

You need to download a wolf-linux-*-full.x86.run setup file (replace '*' by the latest version, file is approx 80Mb). The full setup contains the latest RTCW Linux binaries and the GOTY updates.

From a retail Wolfenstein installation on Windows, copy the following files to your /usr/local/games/wolfenstein/main directory:

Please note that the files are not directly accessible on the CD, they are packaged inside the installer. If you don't have a windows installation to perform the extraction of the files, you can run the win32 setup from linux using WINE (http://www.winehq.com). We know it's a clumsy solution either way and we don't have an alternative to provide (see Wolfenstein GOTY below).

mp_pak0.pk3 62641cffd9a8ad0f62cc1cca867d51f8

mp_pak1.pk3 22b972974f499a237c96a2200b0d019e

mp_pak2.pk3 30f29ffa81748a957e0441af8c14cb56

pak0.pk3 ce92b11df889cb0a045762bb5fd7cde5

sp_pak1.pk3 a0d3fe956f85f40c8efd6babe0d09832

sp_pak2.pk3 330b272d5261fe19fcf3c3fbc943c7f3

ahh i see they are not .pk3 files sorry

Guest JaseP

Ravage, is that a set of instructions on how to get access to the contents of the setup.exe file???

I'm not sure that that is the problem. I have the six pk3 files I supposedly need (unless there is another that hasn't been documented). I notice that the batch file that runs the ID installers have some code that runs and fails once the installer indicates that the installation is complete. Is there another file that used to be installed in the version 1 of the Linux installer for Wolfenstein??? Maybe that is it!?!?!?

Ravage, is that a set of instructions on how to get access to the contents of the setup.exe file???

I'm not sure that that is the problem. I have the six pk3 files I supposedly need (unless there is another that hasn't been documented). I notice that the batch file that runs the ID installers have some code that runs and fails once the installer indicates that the installation is complete. Is there another file that used to be installed in the version 1 of the Linux installer for Wolfenstein??? Maybe that is it!?!?!?

So you have the 6 pk3 files, do there md5sums match that given in the install doc?

If so there should be no problem with them.

Uhh, you didn't read the instructions that YOU pasted in here yourself. And you didn't read ravage's post. All of the pak files are in ONE file on the non-GOTY disc. I know, I have that same version. Re-read those instructions you pasted.

JaseP: No, du isn't any fancy install command, it stands for "disk usage." ravage was just pointing out the size reported by that so that johnnyv would see what you're talking about.

That said, TuxGames has an installer disc for only $5US, and I've been meaning to order it. It's the price of one month of WineX, so if you can afford WineX, you should be able to afford that installer disc.

Guest joehill
Uhh, you didn't read the instructions that YOU pasted in here yourself. And you didn't read ravage's post. All of the pak files are in ONE file on the non-GOTY disc. I know, I have that same version. Re-read those instructions you pasted.

JaseP: No, du isn't any fancy install command, it stands for "disk usage." ravage was just pointing out the size reported by that so that johnnyv would see what you're talking about.

That said, TuxGames has an installer disc for only $5US, and I've been meaning to order it. It's the price of one month of WineX, so if you can afford WineX, you should be able to afford that installer disc.

Oh, and look, you have a link to TuxGames right in your sig, with you as the referrer! How helpful! :wink:

umm i was refering to jasep when he said "i have the six .pk3 files" he got them via winex install

I was just asking if he had check that the md5sums were correct so that he could be sure he wasn't dealing with a corrupt .pk3 file!

so there!

Guest JaseP

Well, with the installer disk, will I have any more luck than I did with the 1.33 and 1.41 versions' install routines and manually transfering the files???

I'm not against buying the CD, I just want to know that if I do, I'll have a working copy of Wolfenstein native...

Guest JaseP
umm i was refering to jasep when he said "i have the six .pk3 files" he got them via winex install

I was just asking if he had check that the md5sums were correct so that he could be sure he wasn't dealing with a corrupt .pk3 file!

so there!

When you use WineX to run the Windoze installer, you don't ordinarily get a checksum...

Guest joehill
Well, with the installer disk, will I have any more luck than I did with the 1.33 and 1.41 versions' install routines and manually transfering the files???

I'm not against buying the CD, I just want to know that if I do, I'll have a working copy of Wolfenstein native...

all due respect to DOlson, he knows what he is talking about on Linux gaming that's for sure, but I do not see how the installer disk will change anything.

did you ever try starting the game from a console to see any error output?

Guest JaseP
...did you ever try starting the game from a console to see any error output?

That's the first way I tried it.

On LinuxQuestions.com, another user suggested it was the X-server locking on me. I have no way of checking the console output for any error messages once I get started,...

Is there any known driver conflict with the default nVidia drivers that come with Mandrake 8.2 and Wolfenstein???