Comments and niggles with 2007

neddie

I have found that the SysRq sequence outlined in the following message works well on Mandriva.

Author Tom Berger: The Magic SysRq Key

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=4496

---------

Tom Berger, I believe, was one of the original linux gurus involved in this board. I remember Mysti, Paul, and others referring to him several times.

Tom Berger, I believe, was one of the original linux gurus involved in this board. I remember Mysti, Paul, and others referring to him several times.

He was a Mandriva employee who started this board back when it was mandrakeuser.org :)

The Start button still doesn't bring up the menu though, so I have to reach for my mouse.

If the Windows or Super key is not working in KDE then try adding the following to your xorg.conf file under the section InputDevice for Keyboard

Option "XkbOptions" "altwin:super_win"

Didn't make any difference. The odd thing is that Start-E brings up Konqueror, and when I'm running Aiglx then Start-Mousewheel activates the zoom function, so the key is working - I'm guessing it's just ignored by KDE, or not getting passed to the taskbar or something. I noticed that my trackpad vertical scrolling has stopped working too, but that's also just a little niggle rather than a major pain.

Didn't make any difference. The odd thing is that Start-E brings up Konqueror, and when I'm running Aiglx then Start-Mousewheel activates the zoom function, so the key is working - I'm guessing it's just ignored by KDE, or not getting passed to the taskbar or something. I noticed that my trackpad vertical scrolling has stopped working too, but that's also just a little niggle rather than a major pain.

Yep I got similar niggles.... its something in the setup for AIGLX and XGL somewhere I guess that "hijacks" certain keypresses but I guess even when you switch them off that part is still grabbing the keys...

It might be possible (haven't tried so hard) to reactivate AIGLX and then turnoff the grabbing the WinKey and then deactivate AIGLX again... worth a shot I guess?

• 1 month later...

Just a couple more minor niggles to add to this, just in case anyone comes across the same thing.

I needed to use the IR port to a mobile phone the other day, and so booted windows for the first time since upgrading to Mandriva 2007. Except what I got when I selected the "windows" option wasn't Windows at all, but some strange Dell diagnostic tool thing which I'd never ever seen before... very confusing. Turned out that even though my original Mandriva install managed to work out the windows partitions fine, and set up lilo without me really having to think about it too much, Mandriva 2007 didn't take notice of that configuration and set up a different one. (I'm fairly sure it didn't ask me about this during the install, but I could be wrong). Anyway, the "windows" entry suddenly pointed to hda1, where apparently this diagnostic tool hides, instead of hda2 where it was before. It also added a strange entry called "linux nonfb" which was identical to the default "linux" one. Anyway I managed to fix it by editing the lilo.conf file and running "lilo" (as root).

The other niggle is with my USB stick, it mounts it semi-automatically (it asks whether to open the new device in a new window) and I can read and write fine, but I can't unmount it because "I am not root and the device is not in fstab". Does it need to have its own entry in fstab? I'm fairly sure I didn't set it up manually like that before with 2005. Any clues how the entry should look? Would the fstab entries be created automatically by harddrake if it were running (I stopped that service to prevent it continually overwriting my changes to the xorg.conf file)?

Oh, and about the Start key, I noticed that for the first few seconds after login, the the Start key does indeed open and close the start menu. Then when all the gubbins in the system tray in the lower right corner are finally started (battery meter, KwikDisk, Keyboard layout and volume control) then it doesn't respond any more. Of course my suspicion is with the Keyboard layout tool but playing with the config of that doesn't help.

The "linux nonfb" is booting linux without the frame buffer. This means your console window will be 80x25 if I remember correctly. With frame buffer, it tends to reset during boot to an 800x600 resolution size.

Last time I remembered seeing this option was in Mandrake 10.1. Don't remember seeing it in LE2005 or 2006. Looks like it made a comeback. Not that I ever used this anyway.