upgrade 2006 to 2007 from internet?

mifan

Welocom to MUB,

I upgraded from 2006 -> cooker -> 2007 via the net, so I guess its possible though expect a few glitches, though I guess they are solvable even if you are not very apt with linux and the command like (like me)

(dont forget to back up important stuff, like your /home )

Edited by ffi

It is possible but not recommended to those unfamiliar with the process. In order to upgrade, set your urpmi mirrors to valid 2007 mirrors, then run

urpmi --auto --auto-select

After that is completed, check if the new kernel was installed with "uname -r". If you get kernel 2.6.17, then it was successful; if not, install the kernel with "urpmi <kernelname>". Afterwards run lilo (if you use it as bootloader) for updating the boot configuration. Then reboot and remove the old kernel in case it is still there.

Do this at your own risk. Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome!

So how exactly can I do this via the net... do I change something with urpmi?

Welocom to MUB,

I upgraded from 2006 -> cooker -> 2007 via the net, so I guess its possible though expect a few glitches, though I guess they are solvable even if you are not very apt with linux and the command like (like me)

(dont forget to back up important stuff, like your /home )

It is possible but not recommended to those unfamiliar with the process. In order to upgrade, set your urpmi mirrors to valid 2007 mirrors, then run

urpmi --auto --auto-select

After that is completed, check if the new kernel was installed with "uname -r". If you get kernel 2.6.17, then it was successful; if not, install the kernel with "urpmi <kernelname>". Afterwards run lilo (if you use it as bootloader) for updating the boot configuration. Then reboot and remove the old kernel in case it is still there.

Do this at your own risk. Good luck.

Dont forget to install and run etc-update either....