michaelc

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh... okay! :P

But then again the places around the Salar de Uyuni, San Pedro de Atacama and northern Argentina have v

been the most amazing places (scenery wise, ermmm not "nature" wise ;) ) I have ever been too, which might include your desktop wallpaper......

Northern Argentina... we got there from San Pedro de Atacama, crossing the border Chile/Argentina. Also the Cataratas (waterfalls) were wonderful. And Missiones, we stayed in a hacienda there, and you could see only sky, clouds and grass for miles and miles! As to my favorite city there, it was Salta, very nice&cosy place, at least the center of it... didn't have the nerve to go to far away from the center. Ah, the memories... makes we want to go back there ;)

Edited by Darkelve

This one is from chickies rock
Aha, that's the fella I meant - from STA_0189 to STG_0195.

I also have a Canon, just a little Ixus v2, and that came with a panorama tool. There's only two things I don't like about it - firstly that it doesn't run on linux, and secondly that it's limited to horizontal strip panos like this:

.---- ---- ----
|	|	|	|
.---- ---- ----

So when you line them up, it always ends up long and skinny.

I like to also be able to do different types of panos like a row of portraits or a grid, like this:

.--- --- ---	   ---- ---- ----
|   |   |   | or  |	|	|	|
|   |   |   |	  ---- ---- ----
.--- --- ---	  |	|	|	|
			   ---- ---- ----

i don't think that's the programs fault, i think it's what your camera can do.
No, it's definitely the program's fault! :P I've used the same camera to make other kinds of panoramas, and then just used other software (hugin) to do the stitching. I also since bought another camera, which hasn't got any panorama mode at all :o but I can still use hugin to do all sorts of panoramas with it.

(some stiching issues on the left side)
There's nothing wrong with the pics you took to cause that mismatch - this is how it looks out of hugin:

post-10937-1160485755_thumb.jpg

Although there's some blur on them, more on some than on others - I'm guessing this is camera wobble rather than focus problems because the focus should be fixed between shots.

One advantage of having a special panorama mode (apart from the help with lining up) is the file naming - STA, STB etc - makes it easy to separate out the panoramas for stitching. And the ability to set a different default picture size for the panoramas - so it's easy to have a big setting for single stills and a smaller setting for the pano parts. I did look at the Canon S2 when I was buying my camera, and saw a couple of extra modes, including a 2x2 square, but couldn't see a 4x2 or a 1x4 or similar. But then as I said as long as you can line them up by eye then you can use hugin to tile more or less anything together.

One thing I discovered with mine - it doesn't work too well making a panorama with zoom. The zoom introduces more vignetting which gives dark bands when you try to stitch them.

Is it my imagination or is everything on the Civil War one (apart from the yellow pole thing mid-left) leaning over to the left?

There's nothing wrong with the pics you took to cause that mismatch - this is how it looks out of hugin:

I may have to try hugin then. The program I'm using came with my camera (and runs on my Mac)

One thing I discovered with mine - it doesn't work too well making a panorama with zoom. The zoom introduces more vignetting which gives dark bands when you try to stitch them.
I don't think I've used zoom for the pictures I took...maybe I did.

Is it my imagination or is everything on the Civil War one (apart from the yellow pole thing mid-left) leaning over to the left?
A lot of the buildings appear to be, but as you go further to the right in the image things appear more straight. This could be due to me taking the images at a bad angle or the stitching process. I was not using a tripod for either of them (although I wish I had been).

WARNING: This thread appears to have been hijacked, oops!

Back on topic or you're all :ban:

:P

Ok boss. :P

Below (see links, thumbnail) post are screenshots of my new desktop. I'm quite proud of it. B)

Please rate it.

- SuSe Linux 10.1 (the one with the messed up package/update manager)

- KDE 3.5.1 "level a", witch backports of KDE applications

- Transparency for taskbar and menus

- Icons: Crystal Diamond 2.0 - Classical

- Window Decoration: Powder

- Background: self-made screenshot of "Valle De La Luna" (valley of the moon) in Chile.

Additional screenshots:

- http://www.ducaet.be/images/persoonlijk/desktop_november.jpg (with the MacOSX style topbar enabled)

- http://www.ducaet.be/images/persoonlijk/de...p_november2.jpg ('clean', without any icons or open windows)

- http://www.ducaet.be/images/persoonlijk/de...p_november3.jpg (Komposé in action)

- http://www.ducaet.be/images/persoonlijk/de...p_november4.jpg (2 windows open: Konqueror with really big icons and Amarok player window)

- http://www.ducaet.be/images/persoonlijk/de...p_november5.jpg (hmmm... seems to be the same as 4, reallly :| )

- http://www.ducaet.be/images/persoonlijk/de...p_november6.jpg (show a transparent menu)

Edited by Darkelve

meh...5 (-2 for it being KDE :P)

Time for a linux screeny :P

Arch Linux

Beryl (the compiz fork that was compiz-quinnstorm)

Regular Xorg, using beta nvidia drivers with GLX_Texture_From_Pixmap (no need for XGL!)

gaim...x-chat...the usuals.

screenshot071017_preview.png

• 3 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread.

Please rate.

Applications running Audacious with Goom plugin and the terminal. In the Notifier (left to right) Gmail notify, Beryl manager, volume applet.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence