KDE not using SWAP [solved]

neil-a1000

I have Mandriva 2006 installed and working well. However, when I run Gnome the swap space is used and the system performs well, but und KDE the swap space is not used - AT ALL.

If I run superkaramba monitoring I can see the utilisation of resources and the system will slow down when I open lots of different apps yet the swap is still not touched.

Am I doing something wrong?

Have I missed a setting?

Thanks in advance.

Neil.

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman]

If you're not using swap, that's good. I found that when I use gnome, my system also uses swap, and after 30 minutes, it's used all of it and killed my system. It becomes unresponsive.

I logged a bug for it, but nobody fixed it. Go figure, what's the point it raising a bug, when they don't bother with it. It has been open for months now.

• 1 year later...

On my Mandriva 2008.0 KDE 3.5.8 I also noticed that system doesn't ever use SWAP, or maybe something is wrong with the monitoring?

[zibi1981@localhost ~]$ free -m
		 total	   used	   free	 shared	buffers	 cached
Mem:		  1011		996		 15		  0		 31		564
-/+ buffers/cache:		400		611
Swap:			0		  0		  0

I'm also curious why every SuperKaramba theme I used never showed any SWAP usage. And what happened to 13 MB of my RAM (I have 1024 MB and Mandriva sees only 1011...)? :glare:

Edited by zibi1981

I managed to resolve my problem with a little help :)

The key to this solution was the discovery that my SWAP partition haven't been mounted automatically with other partitions, and so Mandriva didn't see it (hence free -m command was showing Swap: 0 0 0, and my SuperKaramba monitor 0 of 0 MB). After I mounted SWAP manually in the MCC, finally system started to show the correct information

[zibi1981@localhost ~]$ free -m
		 total	   used	   free	 shared	buffers	 cached
Mem:		  1011		630		381		  0		 32		215
-/+ buffers/cache:		381		629
Swap:		 1019		  0	   1019

[zibi1981@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/swaps
Filename								Type			Size	Used	Priority
/dev/sda5							   partition	   1044184 224	 -1

That was until reboot. The problem was in my /etc/fstab, where I had following entry regarding SWAP

LABEL=swap swap swap defaults 0 0

but SWAP don't have a label on my system... Problem was solved when I changed this entry to

/dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

Edited by zibi1981