Mandriva 2007 3D Desktop problem

Ceco

When i open "Configure your computer->Hardware->Configure 3D Desktop effects" it tells me "Your system does not support 3D desktop effects". How to use AIGLX or xgl? My video card is GF4 MX440 and support OpenGL.I've downloaded the newest driver from nvidia.com and it is the same.What to do?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

I guess you must be a bit patient with it... I tried Mandriva 2007 a couple of days ago, and XGL wasn't working on the liveCD (nothing happened after six minutes or so- just a busy cursor...), while after installation the system was badly choking (P IV/ 3Ghz, 1 GB DDR RAM, GeForce FX 5200/128MB RAM). Your MX440 is a very weak card (I know it because my previous one was an MX440/ 64MB), you shouldn't expect much from it.

I guess you must be a bit patient with it... I tried Mandriva 2007 a couple of days ago, and XGL wasn't working on the liveCD (nothing happened after six minutes or so- just a busy cursor...), while after installation the system was badly choking (P IV/ 3Ghz, 1 GB DDR RAM, GeForce FX 5200/128MB RAM). Your MX440 is a very weak card (I know it because my previous one was an MX440/ 64MB), you shouldn't expect much from it.

Yes this happened with me too...

A workaround is login without xgl first and then login again with xgl...

I also installed the plf rpms and 3D desktop works fine, including the experimental kde translucent windows stuff. I have ols equipement--AMD 1800xp, nforce2 Ultra motherboard, and a 5200fx agp video card. Surprisingly, the 3D desktop is very fast.

Ok i've installed the beta drivers 9625.It cannot run AIGLX but it runs XGL but the screen in KDE goes white so i can't see anything.For now it is better with the normal X server without 3D effects.I'm waiting for a newer driver of the 9x series.Thank u for support :P

What whas the name of the rpm which makes the gnome apps to use the kde fonts?

Edited by Ceco

Ok i've installed the beta drivers 9625.It cannot run AIGLX but it runs XGL but the screen in KDE goes white so i can't see anything.For now it is better with the normal X server without 3D effects.I'm waiting for a newer driver of the 9x series.Thank u for support :P

Exactly the same result here. I have re-installed with various options for the fourth time and same result. Works fine with no 3D. :mellow:

Must have a look for compiz that has been mentioned.

You guys are not reading what has been said. Go to plf.zarb.org, select a mirror, and get the nvidia* rpm along with the matching dkms* rpm. It all works just fine.

Did you remove all the old nvidia and perform the edits as instructed?

Note that running XFDrake will perform the functions for you; I did it all manually because I am anal!