Just installed Mandriva One, little to no software

Guest Phillip W.

Guest Phillip W.

As stated, I installed Mandriva One CD (2007) and have almost no software. That might be the point of a single installation CD. However, I cannot obtain software either (that I know of). When I use the software installer in the Linux control center, there is literally nothing for me to install. Conversely, when i switch it to show me software I have already installed, it does show those items.

I've tried manually installing software, and there is no "make" command. That seems incredible to me that there is no "make" command, a great deal of other commands I am used to are also missing. No nano, gcc, etc. Either I am the biggest newb ever or something very strange is going on here.

Of note, I have the orange question mark icon in my gnome tray, and whenever I check it for updates, it says "Updates: Service configuration problem. Please check logs and send mail to support@mandrivaonline.com"

Is this some kind of basic system that is not supposed to have anything other than basics or am I doing something wrong? Do you have to pay for it before it will work? Perhaps I do not understand how their free system works.

Mandriva One is a LiveCD which has an installer, for a basic system - as you have found out.

The rest you would have to download across the internet using urpmi sources. If you don't want to download and have readily available for install from CD, then download the 3 x 2007 CD's, or 1 x DVD.

For urpmi sources, click the easyurpmi link at the top of this page. However, 2007 Official source doesn't exist yet - and this is what you need. Should be available shortly though I would expect.

The official 2007.0 tree are already mirrored:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/mandrake/Mandrak...al/2007.0/i586/

To add your urpmi sources in a more easier way, just go to "configure your computer"->"software management"->"select from where software packages are downloaded". Make sure you're already connected to the internet, then click "add"->"distribution". You will be asked to select a nearest mirror, then the rpmdrake will automatically add the software repositories.

Easyurpmi is another way to set urpmi sources, if you prefer console than GUI:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.net

If you add repositories and install softwares when using One as a Live-CD, those softwares and repositories data will be also installed onto your HD when you use the live-installer. You don't need to add the repositories twice.

Easyurpmi is currently broken for 2007 (I was toying with the Mandriva One liveCD yesterday) but this is easily fixable.

What is not that easily fixable is urpmi which segfaults a lot, and apt/synaptic which does not work at all. Fortunately, smart package manager works OK.

Equally fortunately, the silly orange theme, wallpaper and bootsplash are also easily fixable. In general the liveCD works well, the installation is painless, language support is exhellent, but urpmi segfaults must be fixed ASAP- after all a newbie will not think, at first place, switching to the working " kdesu smart --gui" !

Edited by scarecrow

urpmi which segfaults a lot,
Eek! That could be the downfall of my cunning plan to use the "minimal" CD install. Any clues on what smart does (differently from urpmi), how to set it up and use it etc? I understood it was an alternative to urpmi, and you use either one or the other, is that right? Any pointers on how to use smart?