Gamers for Linux petition

Guest vivman1107

Guest vivman1107

I came across this petition and encourage all gamers and Linux users to sign it. Maybe with enough support we can change the minds of game developers to include native Linux support for games. Even if you are not a gamer, keep in mind that support for commercial games in Linux is a big barrier for adoption by many users. Your support is also welcome.

http://www.gamersforlinux.com/index.php

dexter's right, i've seen quite a few of these petitions since i joined the linux world in '99, with hundreds of thousands of signatures, still - nothing has changed because of them. only showing support by actually buying linux games helps anything.

I'm with dexter and tyme - put your money where your mouth is, because the developers don't care about petitions.

That said, Neverwinter Nights was bought by thousands of Linux users, but they still stopped Linux support for NWN 2 - the problem is that many games have both installers in the same box, so when you buy it the developers have no way of knowing what OS you're running it on.

Guest vivman1107

I agree completely with your points but I have one small problem with it. Where am I to look to find these Linux games? Most of the games with native Linux support that people mention (NWN, Call to Power, etc.) are quite a few years old. The only recent games of note with Linux support are the id and Epic releases and that is dual OS support as SoulSe mentioned. I am all for buying Linux games but how do I do that when there are so few to buy and they are not as easy to locate?

that's the question we've been trying to answer ;)

the real solution is to get linux to such a large market share that gaming companies can't ignore it. anything else would just be a temporary and often useless solution.

Yup they sure did, sadly tho the box has been gathering dust since I bought WoW.

My whole life is gathering dust since I bought WoW :unsure:

I love UT2004, one of the best FPS ever imho. I need the Mac version for my powerbook though - and since I've already paid for the Windows / Linux version, I can't be arsed to buy it again.

Downloading it is a problem too. It's a huge image. Guess I better get started :P

Yup they sure did, sadly tho the box has been gathering dust since I bought WoW.

My whole life is gathering dust since I bought WoW :unsure:

I love UT2004, one of the best FPS ever imho. I need the Mac version for my powerbook though - and since I've already paid for the Windows / Linux version, I can't be arsed to buy it again.

Downloading it is a problem too. It's a huge image. Guess I better get started :P

Looks like I will be dusting off UT 2004, I just quit WoW. Not because I was addicted or anything :D, start a new job shortly, and WoW was taking up too much time for me. On the downside though, I now have a KDE desktop...........some random freak result of giving up WoW, well at least that's my excuse ;)

• 2 months later...

When speaking about Linux games... According to my knowledge, one of the most anticipated titles of the coming year, Splash Damage's Enemy Territory Quake Wars, will be released for Linux too. I'm looking forward to buy it, as Battlefield 2142 is a mistake for me, not only having in mind all of the stability and gameplay issues with BF2 patches. Anyone is planning to buy this game? Should be a really amazing FPS :D

I've been playing BF2 and 2142 with no problems at all. I do boot into the windows side to do it though. None of the games I play really work well in Linux and if they do you gotta jump through some serious hoops to get it done. I just want to play, not jump through hoops. Also TeamSpeak and game playing on Linux really don't go hand in hand without some trouble to get through.

Linux is a great O.S., but for game playing I'll just stick to Windows.