Mandriva 2007 Errata

spinynorman

The only reason I use compression such as zip is for the benefit of friends I email stuff to who only use windows and wouldn't know what a tar was. When I email to people I know are using Linux ( I set them up) then I use tar.

I would suspect a lot of Linux users do the same thing.

John.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason I use compression such as zip is for the benefit of friends I email stuff to who only use windows and wouldn't know what a tar was. When I email to people I know are using Linux ( I set them up) then I use tar.

I would suspect a lot of Linux users do the same thing.

John.

winzip supports tar.gz, if that's what they happen to use. :)

winzip supports tar.gz

ahh, but perhaps the users don't :D

I know I would have looked at you like you had 2 heads if you gave me a tar.gz, and probably asked for a 'real' file instead ;)

Most people I know wouldn't even know what a tar.gz was.

winzip supports tar.gz

ahh, but perhaps the users don't :D

I know I would have looked at you like you had 2 heads if you gave me a tar.gz, and probably asked for a 'real' file instead ;)

Most people I know wouldn't even know what a tar.gz was.

depends :) a lot of users wouldnt look at the extension and would just see an icon the same as a zip file and thus not think twice. But in defence of AussieJohn, most would just be using windows' inbuilt zip support, not having winzip/rar/ace. And I was kinda a bit tongue in cheek suggestin the tar.bz2 ;)

James

I have only just installed 2007 having stuck with 2006. I thought the dust may have settled by now, but it seems not.

I immdeiately hit a font problem which almost had me reverting to 2006 before I'd even got started.

I lot of users, like myself, hate anit-aliasing and they want to experience font rendering as per WindowsOS. See here: http://avi.alkalay.net/linux/docs/font-howto/Font.html

But the use of freetype library with the bytecode interpreter enabled did not produce the expected results. It was only by chance that I came across this bug report which explains why: http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=27506

Importing windows fonts is totally broken in the KDE control centre and the bug in the control centre means you are fooled into thinking the fonts are correctly imported and configured.

Thankfully there is a simple solution, just install the fonts manully:

(1) Copy the windows fonts to /usr/share/fonts/ttf

(2) In a console do

cd /usr/share/fonts/ttf

ttmkfdir > fonts.scale

mkfontdir

chkfontpath -a /usr/share/fonts/ttf

(3) Check that fontpath is added to /etc/X11/fs/config

(4) Restart KDE (service xfs restart does not work)

This bug could be fundamental to a user deciding to adopt 2007 or not, as such IMHO it really ought to appear in the official errata.

Hi, guys. I don't read this forum any more because I just don't have the time - I wish I did. I notice quite a few posts saying "I wish this was on the official Errata" - for things like that, please feel free to mail me directly (awilliamson A T mandriva D 0 T com) to suggest it, preferably with a link to the bug report. I'm trying to include all reasonably important bugs in the Errata while not having SO much stuff that it's too big to read, I'll take a look at the suggestions in this context. I will add the drakfont bug. Thanks, everyone.

Well, some more comments, then :)

Gowator, it's not as simple as that: the KDE bug is extremely annoying to a lot of users who are very used to the functionality (check out the threads about it on the official Club forum). The dbus issue is not as serious as it sounds, because it only affects some third-party stuff, not any actual official packages.

I admit the ordering is somewhat haphazard. The resolved issues section is strictly ordered: first come all the official updates for /main in date order, then all the /contrib updates in date order. The other sections I try to put the most commonly experienced issues at the top, but beyond that I either just stick new issues in at the bottom or put them next to similar issues. I figure most people are going to search the page or be directed to a specific item on it rather than try and read through the whole thing, anyway.

iphitus, development is not handled internally, it's done in public, and major decisions are usually done in consultation at least with the Cooker mailing list and sometimes with Club members. Try subscribing to the Cooker mailing list, it's *extremely* active. Contributors use the same build system and have mostly the same status as internal staff. Some significant packages in /main are maintained by contributors.

SD cards are common, but SD card readers handled by the sdhci module aren't (I have one, but I only got it after 2007 came out. I think a couple other staff have one in their personal laptops, but that's about it). Most SD card headers are USB, and the problem doesn't affect them. You have to bear in mind that I tried to write the "title" for each issue thinking about what a user would search for: a user probably wouldn't *know* the SD card issue only affects sdhci card readers, and their card reader happens to be one of these. As far as THEY'RE concerned, the problem is: my SD card doesn't automount. So instead of making the title "mmc block devices not correctly handled by HAL", which is a more technically accurate description of the problem, I made it "SD cards not automounted in some systems", since that's what a user is going to experience.

Beagle's not really a major feature - it's GNOME-only (most users are still on KDE) and not installed by default. Plus the issue isn't an immediately obvious one, it'll only be picked up if you use Beagle and Evolution and you happen to notice that a Beagle search that should return an Evolution email, doesn't. It's not like it crashes or something.

Missing menu entries are caused by the switch from the old Debian menu system (as used up to 2006) to the new fd.o XDG menu standard. This requires a manual conversion for every single package in the distro with a menu entry (several thousand packages). Rather than delay the release of 2007 for some time (likely weeks) to complete this process, we just released it with some fairly minor packages still not converted to the new system. It's mostly little-used contrib stuff, all the big apps were converted.

Nexuiz wasn't out of date when we released 2007. The new version was released after 2007 came out, and the packager updated the package as a service. I'd say this is actually an example of excellent service from a volunteer packager.

Please read the full description of the tomboy issue: "The tomboy package included in Mandriva Linux 2007 was built at a time when a bug in the build system prevented correct calculation of package dependencies." Most package dependencies in Mandriva are automatically calculated. This is really the only system that scales to over ten thousand packages maintained by a bunch of different people. Tomboy just happened to get built at a bad time and no-one caught it - dependency problems tend to escape Cooker testing, because usually the people who use an app already have the dependencies installed, so if a new version of the package has a dependency issue, they won't notice it.

The GTK+ cursor theme problem is a bit of a brown paper bag one, though. Don't really know how that one got through public betas.

• 3 weeks later...

More updates:

5 Resolved Issues

5.35 ivman unusable

7 Kernel

7.8 Broadcom wireless network devices not working / unstable

11 Software

11.16 OpenOffice.org not associated with some Microsoft Works file types

11.21 Balazar does not work

New address for Errata: http://wiki.mandriva.com/Releases/Mandriva/2007/Errata

What exactly does "resolved issues" mean? I still have several problems with rpmdrake (I had to switch to use urpmi from the command line instead because of the gui's repeated error messages, odd behaviour and crashes). Now it's listed as "resolved", but does that mean I have to wait until 2007.1 comes out or are the fixes in the normal updates? I've updated everything from urpmi (urpmi.update -a, urpmi --auto-select --updates) and still have the same annoying problems when I do try to use the gui.

What exactly does "resolved issues" mean? I still have several problems with rpmdrake (I had to switch to use urpmi from the command line instead because of the gui's repeated error messages, odd behaviour and crashes). Now it's listed as "resolved", but does that mean I have to wait until 2007.1 comes out or are the fixes in the normal updates? I've updated everything from urpmi (urpmi.update -a, urpmi --auto-select --updates) and still have the same annoying problems when I do try to use the gui.

"Resolved" means that an update has been released which should fix the problem - see the Errata entries for rpmdrake.

If you're still having a problem, please post it in the Software forum.