Help for my office server

CanuckKev

I am trying to get my boss to allow me to replace a Windows server at work with another Linux box.

I have everything he has asked for, except for 2 items.

First off, I need a POP3 server. I have postfix setup for the smtp side, but the POP3 side is one I am not sure of.

I have searched the messages google, and RMPFind, and the only thing I can find is qpopper. Do I have any other choices.

Also, the bos is concerned with Virus's transmitted by email.

I am looking at RAV and F-prot but would prefer an Open Source solution.

Do I have any options for virus scanners that will work on the SMTP server or on the box directly?

About virus-scanners, all I can say is that it exists in open-source, because I've read about it some time ago.

For POP3, I use the POP3 plug-in to xinetd, which is available in the imap package.

Note: the POP3 server from the imap package is good, IMO (I mean I never had any problem with it, nor did I see any message about a problem with it), but the IMAP server (also a plugin for xinetd) from this same imap package should not be used (I find it not very reliable, and I also read many messages about problems, and there are good reliable open-source alternatives).

Yves.

For POP3, I use the POP3 plug-in to xinetd, which is available in the imap package.

Note: the POP3 server from the imap package is good, IMO (I mean I never had any problem with it, nor did I see any message about a problem with it), but the IMAP server (also a plugin for xinetd) from this same imap package should not be used (I find it not very reliable, and I also read many messages about problems, and there are good reliable open-source alternatives).

Yves.

Thanks Yves.The imap package, is that on the CD's or in the contribs?

This looks an old post, but anyway...

I've searched a little bit and I think I found an opensource mailscanner.... at http://www.amavis.org/

I can't guarantee anything, because I just discovered it myself. It seems to me an active project, because the last news is of 7/3/2003.

I think it is an very interisting mailscanner and you have to choose 3/4 types, depending on how much mail your newsserevr will get.

Read the docs, but maybe better the newsboards there....

You'll have to determine for yourself if it is good enough. I haven't looked at it enough to make an opinion about that.

I've actually convinced him that scanning on the desktops was a better solution. Makes my life easier, as i can PUSH updates and definitions to the desktops from my Windows servers.

Now, all i need is a good POP3 server. I am looking at a couple of solutions, but nothing is really saying "USE ME" if you know what I mean.

On RPMfind.net:

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/9.0...-9mdk.i586.html

Note that I use the imap plug-in to xinetd everyday, and only once did it fail me (and honestly, it was not entirely properly configured). It's just that I've read advice from other people, who think that Courier-IMAP (http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/9.0...-1mdk.i586.html) or Cyrus-IMAP (or something like that) is more production-ready (secure, stable...).

Yves.

On RPMfind.net:

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/9.0...-9mdk.i586.html

Note that I use the imap plug-in to xinetd everyday, and only once did it fail me (and honestly, it was not entirely properly configured). It's just that I've read advice from other people, who think that Courier-IMAP (http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/9.0...-1mdk.i586.html) or Cyrus-IMAP (or something like that) is more production-ready (secure, stable...).

Yves.

I am looking at Courier Imap right now. I thinkit will be quite useable, butI'll know more with some testing.

I am amazed at just how litle i wasable to find for a POP3 server. There seem to be about a 4:1 ration on SMTP:POP3 serversout there. you wuld think there would be more, especially if the different Distros are trying to get more of the server mraket. I mean Database Web and SMTP do not a server make.

You would think that this would be something that would acheive some attention.

That's because POP3 is so basic on Unix. Every user has their account on the Unix server, and the file location for each user is standard (/var/spool/mail/$USER). The POP3 server just has to read and serve the good file for the user asking for it (POP3 is a read-only+delete protocol). And absolutely no configuration is needed ! (rare enough to be noted)

The POP3 plug-in for inetd/xinetd works very well, and there's no reason to create an alternative.

Besides, on Unix, most mail clients are able to directly manage the /var/spool/mail/$USER file.

Yves.

That's because POP3 is so basic on Unix. Every user has their account on the Unix server, and the file location for each user is standard (/var/spool/mail/$USER). The POP3 server just has to read and serve the good file for the user asking for it (POP3 is a read-only+delete protocol). And absolutely no configuration is needed ! (rare enough to be noted)

I agree, but in an environment like mine, Windows Desktops and Mixed Servers (now at least:lol:), it would make sense to have more of a selection of replacements for M$ stuff.

We have replacements for SQL, File and Print services, and to some extent, Terminal services. SMTP has always been *nix forte. In our environment, we Could use LDAP or IMAP, but we use POP3 cause our remote client sysems are on dialup and the overhead for IMAP and such are too much. It blows our collaboration ideas, but we learned to work around it.

Now with Linux in the mix, I am hoping that we can do more collaborative tasks. I'd ditch Windows completely, but we have a Custom written ASP application (Wich only works with IE) that we have invested lots of time and money in, and it is far to expensive to have it redone at this point.

So I have one foot in the old conformity world, and another in the "New World Order" :)

As far as I know, ASP pages can be run with Apache, with the use of a module. I've never read any comments on it, though. It surely is very new.

Tried that. 2 problems. The scripts are MS-SQL specific, and would cost us to re-write to MySQL, and some of the ASP functions don't work with the apache module.

*sigh* I guess I'll always be stuck in the M$ world at work.

When you say MS-SQL-specific, do you mean SQL Server, or Access ?

MS SQL specific. Just enough to be a pain in the ass. I think once i can justify the savings on the server side, then I can justify the changes to MYSQL. Then once that is done, I'll work on the ASP and IE specific stuff.

Small steps.