ProFTPd Help [solved]

Guest Dusty Dee

Guest Dusty Dee

I have just set up an ftp server using Mandrake 10.1, ProFTPd, and Webmin to administer it remotely. I am having problems when connecting using the IE ftp client (not my choice, my customer set this as a constraint). The folder name shows up with the last modified date and time prepending the file name. When accessing it via Firefox ftp client, no problems. Some ftp clients work good, others show the time, or date and time. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

One other problem, the permissions keep changing back to some sort of default value on me. Driving me nuts!! I change them, and they change back. FREAK. What causes this? But more important, how do I fix it?

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Hi i also installed proftpd, I am not sure why you are having problems, I would suggest to check back and monitor your /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf file.

There are the so called sticky notes which usually relates to the configuration, in any case it willl be a good idea to paste your config file.

Try doing this:

urpmi drakwizard

then go into System/Configure/Configure Your Computer.

In here will be a wizard for configuring FTP Server with proftpd. This might help sort it out for you.

Guest Dusty Dee

Problems solved. :wall: Did a lot of bangining my head against the wall before I found the answer though.

Problem 1: Date and Time showing up in folder name. The problem was that the group name contained a space. Firefox knew how to deal with the space, IE didn't.

Problem 2: Priorities kept changing. With a little more internet searching I found the problem: msec. For those who don't know, msec will scan the file system and make sure that permissions are set to atleast what is contained in a configuration file (/usr/share/msec/perm.# where # is security level). I had to go in and change the permissions on the folders that needed more relaxed permissions than the default.

It was a long night, but the customer is now happy. Which means that I get paid, which means that I am happy. $)