Miscellaneous questions

jgw

I am running with the GNOME desktop. To cut and paste I have been right clicking and choosing. I am coming from windows. Sometimes ^C, ^V works and sometimes it does not. I have read the GNOME documentation and it says that this has to do with text shortcuts and then gives directions. The problem is that 'text shortcuts' do not appear and I have no idea, therefore, how to set these shortcuts. Any thoughts?

Because I am using the GNOME desktop I seem to be running into a bunch of problems that, possibly, I would not have otherwise. I am not sure. For instance, when I try and do the mandriva update thing it tells me that my machine is already registered and that it cannot update this system. If I run the applet it says it cannot connect and to contact mandrake online. Sometimes, when I am trying to use mmc to install it will tell me simply that it cannot do that (no explanation). In addition to all of that my update media is not acceptable no matter what I do. I am getting a little frustrated.

then there is the problem with .tar files. If I click on them I am immediately taken to the unzipper (file roller). If I try and put something in /usr it will tell me that I can't do that as I am not logged in as root. How do I login as root through a gui? (no problem with terminal).

Thank you................

To copy and paste I just select the text and then press the middle button of the mouse ( or left and right at the same time if I don't have a 3-button mouse ) wherever I want to paste it. (I'm using KDE though, don't know if it's the same in gnome)

Which version of Mandriva 2006 are you running? (free?)

Have you set up the repositories using easy-urpmi (link at the top of this page)?

A .tar is an archive, so it shall probably be opened by fileroller.

You shall not login as root other than in a terminal! Doing that you can easily ruin your system.

To copy and paste I just select the text and then press the middle button of the mouse ( or left and right at the same time if I don't have a 3-button mouse ) wherever I want to paste it. (I'm using KDE though, don't know if it's the same in gnome)

Amazing! I right click and copy comes up and if I do it again paste comes up - thank you for pointing the way!

Which version of Mandriva 2006 are you running? (free?)

I reinstalled 2006 christmas edition and caused my disaster.

Have you set up the repositories using easy-urpmi (link at the top of this page)?

Several times.

A .tar is an archive, so it shall probably be opened by fileroller.

Yep - then I can unzip it but only in the home directory - I was shooting for \usr

You shall not login as root other than in a terminal! Doing that you can easily ruin your system

If there is a way it is well hidden, probably for the same reason you mentioned. I am on a learning curve here (kinda steep) and really do not care if I trash the system as, then, I would simply reinstall and that just takes time.

Thank you for the reply.