Kontact [solved]

laiback

Does anyone know which files I need to copy off one installation of Mandy 2006 to a new one in order to transfer the address book. I cannot see anything that looks like it within ~/.kde, I'm sure it's there somewhere; 'locate' returns some info. when I query for Kontact or Kaddress, but the files are in ~/.kde/share/config which doesn't seem enough somehow.

I've already copied over the e-mails so I'm alright on that one.

Many thanks.

Laidback

Edited by laiback

Dear uralmasha

OK I copied

~/.kde/share/config/kabc/

but ~/.kde/share/config/kabcrc doesn't exist.

I have ~/.kde/share/config/kab2kabcrc so I've tried with that one.

But the contacts are just the same as before!

Any ideas?

~/.kde/share/config/kabcrc is not important, it contains meta-data. The real addresses are in apps/kabc .

The only thing that comes in mind why you are not seeing the contacts is that you have not set permissions on the new location and the directory kabc is not accessible by the new user. You should make sure the new user is the owner of the files.

If your new user login is laiback and the primary group is laiback (that's what happens by default when you create user via MCC), then may want to execute the following as root

chown laiback:laiback /home/laiback/.kde/share/apps/kabc -R

This will change the ownership recursively.

Perhaps you need to restart kontact, too, not sure.

Replace the entire kabc directory with the one you want to use from your old system instead of copying the contents of kabc over to your new kabc directory. I've done this many times this way and it has always worked for me.

pmpatrick

This actually is what I did, renamed the original directory on the destination disk and then copied the kabc dir over from the old disc. Something has gone wrong but I'm blowed if I can see what.

Thanks anyway.

Well, if you don't want to spend your time trying to figure out what's the matter, you can simply export the contacts of the old user an import them when logged in as the new one. Kontact can export pretty much everything, including photos, in the vcard format.

Good idea but there is a problem. I cannot log into the old system. I'm reading the disc via a USB drive so can access the files but cannot run anything.

Each and every groupware should be able to import contacts. Did you try to use the Import functionality?

No I didn't. Just copied the directory, or so I thought.

What do you mean by groupware?

Hi, laiback

Like pmpatrick, i've copied kabc many times between users, also from 2006 to mandriva 2007 RC2. Just to be sure I transferred the contacts on my installation once again, and it works.

I read the thread once again and noticed that you, according to what you wrote, have not copied .../.kde/share/apps/kabc but .../.kde/share/config/kabc . If that's not a typo you then should really make sure you copy the one in /apps/ .

Otherwise, the std.vcf file in .../.kde/share/apps/kabc is your adressbook in vcf format.

There are more files in that directory, and the one dated the latest is apparently the latest snapshot of your contacts, if it has reasonable file size. If you open that file from Konqueror, you will see the first contact, and, below it, the button "import all". That will indeed import all your contacts.

Hope one or the other helps!

Edited by uralmasha

Dear uralmashs and all you other kind people,

Well I am astonished as usual. Went into ~/.kde/...std.vcf in Konqueror and opened the file with Kaddress. Wow!, how fantastic is that, import all from a defunct system accessed via a USB cable straight into my live address book. Fantastic.

May I note the following. I needed to close Kontact in order to access the live file before the above worked properly. Probably to be expected. And you can perform the same operation on the old files, std.vcf_n as well. Why would you want to do this? I recovered the odd address that I had lost some time ago but now wish that I still had. In other words you seem to be able to examine the history of your address book. It doesn't matter if you import an adress twice, you just get a duplicate which can be deleted later.

All is now imported onto my new system, many thanks. And I have learnt a lot. My vote goes to the forum.

Grateful thanks

Laidback