Mandriva 2006 Package Manager - Awful

acegap

newbie: Is nobody working from the middle here? Assume, for one minute, that I am not interested in Fax, Phone, Printer and sundry other installed duplicated applications. I want them uninstalled before I begin to download updates, right? So, why am I being told about all of the dependencies when all I am interested in is the Fax Machine I don't possess, the Phone I don't want to be involved with and the Printer I don't possess. As a newbie the dependencies are not my concern. They are just the huge ego of the Linux Proletariat.

All I need to see is a large dialog with boxes to untick for 1) Fax 2) Phone 3) Printer 4) Audio Players 5) Video players 6) Browsers 7) etc., etc.

But wait a minute, I could wade through the Start Menu, or whatever it's called, take note of the installed Applications and uninstall the one's I don't want, one by one, and keep note of it all in my very first OpenOffice.org spreadsheet (Approximately 3 hours work) and do my newbie-best with the dependencies...

..but then I might find that I have just lost my 1) Konsole and 2) Konqueror and 3) KDE desktop!

How surprising.

ah well.. back to winderz and the Vista pre-release candidate.

:lol2:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Pretty easy - just go to "software removal", go into the "Communications" group, and tick the boxes for the packages with "fax" or "phone" in the title. If you're not sure, click the name and read the description. If it needs to remove others too it will tell you. Then click "remove" and they're gone.

Or don't select those packages when you install and you won't have to remove them again later.

Or, as you said, just use another OS if you want. But don't be too surprised if that comes with optional fax or printer stuff too.

thank you very much and you can fool some of the people some of the time, but isn't everything that you are trying to tell me exactly what I was telling you in the first post of this thread?

No, he was actually telling you how to remove software, and if you can't be bothered stick with your nice unsecure Windows, which also reports back to Microsoft telling them what you do with your system - make sure you don't have anything illegal installed :o

If you went through the whole programs options you should have found under System/Configuration/Packaging the Remove Software option!!!! :lol:

We're here to help, it's better than making the comments you did slagging it off making troll posts. I guess this is typical of newbies who really don't want to learn anything. There are far nicer ways to ask for help, than just posting that you don't like something. If that's all you want to do, then stick with Windows - it's probably easier for you than attempting to learn something far better.

Please excuse me but I just assumed that anyone would realise that I had already used the Remove Software option in Packaging and had been confronted with the unavoidable, prepostrous and seemingly endless list of files and resulting dependencies as opposed to the added choice of a more user friendly option of a simple List of Applications. My bad.

Edited by acegap

I think you've made a common mistake: no one here works for Mandriva or creates this distribution. If you have specific issues that you believe should be addressed by Mandriva you will need to go to their website and let them know. We are just a community of Mandriva users trying to help each other out. Any advice given to you in this thread has been in an honest attempt to help you, so please understand that.

As for the unticking of software you don't want? You could have done that during the original install. That's why they have a package selection step in the install. Afterwards, yes, it can be a pain - all we can do is try to help you get it done, we can't change it, only Mandriva can do that ;)

It may very well be that Mandriva is not the distribution for you. Might I suggest trying Ubuntu? Maybe SuSe/Novell? There are other options which may work more to your liking, and if you are really interested in giving Linux a try you should check some of them out.

thnx tyme - I sent Mandriva a 'Bug Report' with this thread's address...

..If a re-install (the second, btw, with the same situation, having already gone through the same process before) following three careful hours doesn't constitute a bug I don't know what does.

I usually charge $1000 hour.

Edited by acegap

it really is a pretty common mistake that this is a board for the developers of mandriva. maybe there should be some disclaimer (separate from user agreements) when people sign up for the board that "WE ARE NOT THE MAKERS/DISTRIBUTORS OF MANDRIVA LINUX.....'.

this common mistake however leads people to vent about frustrations. although i don't condone the attitude , i understand it.