How to enable XGL+3D on a nVidia GeForce4?

Guest Eduard

Hi,

I've just installed RC2 (LiveCD One KDE3), and to my surprise it doesn't allow me to activate the 3D Desktop effects. Previously I had checked it on my job's machine, which uses a GeForce6 and it worked fine.

I know that the GeForce4 series are a bit old, but they are perfectly capable to manage Xgl+compiz effects, as I myself have been succesfully testing it with also very recent the Sabayon 3.0 distribution (which enables it by default).

Poking inside the Mandrive Device Manager I found that my card is using the "nvidia (generic)" driver instead of the propietary nVidia one. AFAIK, this driver (referred as 'nv' in xorg.conf) doesn't implement 3D acceleration, so this cause the 3D destop to appear disabled. I don't know the reason of this, because the offcial 'nvidia' driver works fine for my card (again, as I've tested myself on the different distributions I've tested lately - namely Sabayon, (K)Ubuntu, etc...).

I've found a workaround to this, but I don't know if it's a very good solution: I discovered that if I change the driver inside Device Manager to a "GeForce 6", then the system asks me to use the "propietary" drivers. Doing so, the 3D desktop is enabled and I can use it without problems. However, I don't know if this can cause any unstability in the system, as I'm a complete noob regarding Linux arquitecture.

So, in brief: ¿is there a more standard way to activate the 3D effects on a GeForce4 card? ¿May I install the official nVidia driver (8774) from its page? ¿May I need to follow any specific steps to od so? ¿Or else I just go the way previosuly described and see what happens...?

Best regards,

Eduard