Mandriva 2007 released?

Gul Dukat

No, neither do I any more, they must have changed it. So only 2007 official community and only main and contrib? Can that really be right?

Is this a problem with the repositories, or just with the urpmi websites? I've downloaded the 2007 "mini" version which means I'll be relying on urpmi to update it - should I wait a few weeks for the repositories to catch up?? Another thread here recommended to just use "official" - is that likely to break everything or is that the recommended path? Or should I just download the DVD and ignore urpmi for a while?

edit: Mistyped "official" instead of "community" in all the confusion. And yes I'm still confused what "2007 community" means...

I used the 2006 lines generated by easyurpmi. I just replaced 2006.0 with 2007.0 in the url and it works.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just connected to a mirror, found the relative path and updated manually without easyurpmi. I noticed now, they also add "release" to the end as well, so it's a little different than the usual 2006 format.

Eg, media/main/release instead of just media/main.

I noticed that after a clean install, you can just open the mcc, then media manager, then choose 'add' and you just have to pick a server.

It added main-update, main and contrib - without me needing any kind of easyurpmi.

We still need it for plffree and nonfree.

I used the 2006 lines generated by easyurpmi. I just replaced 2006.0 with 2007.0 in the url and it works.
2006 or 2006 community?

2006. The community always points to the devel tree. And yes there is a release subdir under main but there's also a reconfig.urpmi file which I believe helps urpmi to find the release dir under main.

I tried to use the GUI to add update_source during install and later with rpmdrake but I coudn't . I noticed that on the servers I tried, the hdlist.cz file was screwed so I used the synthesis.hdlist.cz file so it took as a source at least but didn't installed the updates. Rpmdrake showed no updates at all. So I thought I try smart. Wobo had a really positive impression about it in the club forum. And it worked. It even has an update utility ksmsrtray which is blinking if you have updates. And now all the updates are installed.

The community always points to the devel tree.
So the 2006 community points to the 2006 devel tree? Are there devel trees for 2006, 2005, etc etc? I thought the only development tree was cooker?

Sorry if I'm dragging this off-topic but I really don't get it. And it looks like I need to read up about smart too, if urpmi doesn't work any more :( Getting nervous about my looming upgrade...

Another difference is that updates is now under main - media/main/updates

Contrib doesn't have a corresponding media/contrib/updates so I don't know if that means that all updates will be in media/main/updates from now on or whether contrib will have a separate updates directory in the future.

I haven't had any problems with urpmi, as long as I used the release subdirectory as Ian described above (i.e., media/main/release, media/contrib/release). I've used urpmi for several in-place upgrades from 2006 to 2007 official as well as updates once 2007 official was installed.

lftp ftp.sunet.se:/> ls pub/Linux/distributions/Mandriva/official/
drwxr-xr-x	5 1137	 1100		  144 May 24  2004 10.0
drwxr-xr-x	5 1137	 1100		  120 Dec  1  2004 10.1
drwxr-xr-x	5 1137	 1100		  120 Oct 14  2005 10.2
lrwxrwxrwx	1 1137	 1100			4 Apr 14  2005 2005 -> 10.2
drwxr-xr-x	5 1137	 1100		  120 Oct 18  2005 2006.0
lrwxrwxrwx	1 1137	 1100		   16 Oct  2 23:03 2007.0 -> ../devel/2007.0/
drwxrwxr-x	4 1137	 1100		   96 Apr  2  2004 9.0
drwxr-sr-x	6 1137	 1100		  144 Oct 16  2003 9.1
drwxrwxr-x	5 1137	 1100		  120 Oct 13  2003 9.2
lrwxrwxrwx	1 1137	 1100			6 Oct 15  2005 current -> 2006.0
drwxrwxr-x   17 1137	 1100		  552 Oct  3 08:14 iso
drwxr-xr-x   11 1137	 1100		  312 Sep  6 17:52 updates

so 2007.0 official also points to the community tree...

Edited by Mhn

OK so they just opened the community tree then.

neddie:

The difference between community and official should be that the community tree is not frozen and this:

ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandriva/devel/2007.0/i586/media/

ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandriva/official/2007.0/i586/media/

But since the 2007.0 directory is only a link to the 2007.0 directory in the devel tree, as Mhn noticed, currently there's no difference.

Cooker is also under the devel dir: ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/pub/linux/Mandriva/devel/cooker

by easyurpmi do you mean the mirror we have (vs. the one at zarb.org) or just it in general?

i'm sure it will be at some time, zarb just may not have the right sources yet (it's only been a few days folks...all mirrors may not be propogated yet)

After getting thoroughly confused, I guess the question that arises is, "Will easyurpmi at some point be updated so that it can be used in the same fashion it was used with Mandriva 2006?"

If so, what might be the expected timeframe?

As I wrote in my previous post just before yours, only the community tree is opened publicly. Hence the settings in easyurpmi and smart-urpmi. The official tree is only a link to the community tree. Once the official tree opens up (if it opens up) they will update easyurpmi and smart-urpmi I'm sure.

ok so i downloaded the 4 cd iso's, burned the cd's, and did a "upgrade" over 2006, well it trashed the upgrade !

rpm drake did not work (crashed), xchat crashed most things crashed when trying to use them !

so i did a complete wipe and clean install, and this worked fine, everything now works !! :thumbs:

as this is a spare machine i was not bothered, but maybe others would be, MANDRIVA, WHAT IS THE POINT OF AN "UPGRADE" OPTION IF IT DOESN'T WORK!!

And of course i have a NVIDIA fx 5200 graphics card so the 3d desktop stuff don't work!

yes i have got the correct kernel source, and installed the NVIDIA driver (8774) and its all ok.

i wonder why not, maybe i have a config wrong somewhere, the error i get is "your system does not support 3d desktop fx"

yet the 3d config tool say's i can have one of the 3d options (not the ai one) ?

never mind its only eye candy after all but it would be nice to check it out !

anyway i like the look of 2007, its slick, good looking, and a bit quicker than 2006, overall impression is well done mandriva keep up the good work :thumbs:

it shall be on my main machine by monday :banana::bananacha:

regards

reb2

If you use the plf stuff, including the nvidia there, your 3D desktop will work just fine. You'll have to grab 2 rpms: the dkms and the nvidia. Of copurse, the kernel sources will have to be installed in order to compile the mod/driver.