Mandriva 2007 released?

Gul Dukat

I was quoting emmanuel, not Gul :unsure:

yes, but what emmanuel quoted from the website he gave was quoted from the website Gul gave ;) You can tell this because they put "'s around it and then said --Mandriva obviously meaning it came from Mandriva, and since it's exactly what's on the page Gul linked to I imagine that's where they got it ;)

anyways. i think your point was different from what i thought it was when i first replied so never mind :P

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now it really looks like it's officially out:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/community/news/...nux_2007_is_out

Monday October 02 2006

Mandriva today is proud to release its brand new distribution: Mandriva Linux 2007.

From what I can gather the torrents are open to everyone, members or not - which isn't quite what I expected. Seems like as well as the many live "One" versions, there are sets of 3 CDs, a single DVD, and also a "mini" CD with just a minimal install on.

Related question - if one were to get the torrent for the "Mini" version of 2007, which would be the right setup for easyurpmi? I can see a "2007 Community" entry in the dropdown, is that right? Why is there a "2006" and a "2006 Community"? Will there eventually be a "2007" entry too? Or should it just be the top one, "official", now that 2007 is "official"? Confused about the differences. For "2007 community" there only seems to be main and contrib set up, which is a bit worrying.

2006 ones are probably left over for some reason. someone forgot to delete a line, maybe.

I'm not sure what official is. might require having a club membership or something.

2007 community only having main and contrib is pretty standard. main is all the stuff on the cds, contrib is...contrib - those are the only things that are really considered "free" as far as mandriva-made repo's go. and updates i believe you set up seperately.

Well now it really looks like it's officially out:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/community/news/...nux_2007_is_out

Monday October 02 2006

Mandriva today is proud to release its brand new distribution: Mandriva Linux 2007.

From what I can gather the torrents are open to everyone, members or not - which isn't quite what I expected. Seems like as well as the many live "One" versions, there are sets of 3 CDs, a single DVD, and also a "mini" CD with just a minimal install on.

Quite a positive surprise (yes I really did say that, doesn't mean that I am gonna download it though, only one week or so till I'm updating to FC6 :D)

2006 ones are probably left over for some reason. someone forgot to delete a line, maybe.

I'm not sure what official is. might require having a club membership or something.

2007 community only having main and contrib is pretty standard. main is all the stuff on the cds, contrib is...contrib - those are the only things that are really considered "free" as far as mandriva-made repo's go. and updates i believe you set up seperately.

IIRC the only repo's that were restricted to the club in the past was the club repo itself, Official is the holding ground for the commercial packages (I don't ever remember this being passworded to be honest, maybe wrong)

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

I was just confused that when I select 2006 in the first dropdown, I can select sources for main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree, and for 2005 I get all five too. But for 2007 community there are no updates, and no plf-free or plf-nonfree either.

However I've just looked at http://easyurpmi.zarb.org and they have a "2007 official" choice as well as "2007 community" so perhaps that is the way to go. All five options seem to be available for "official" but only main and contrib for "community".

No, neither do I any more, they must have changed it. So only 2007 official community and only main and contrib? Can that really be right?

Is this a problem with the repositories, or just with the urpmi websites? I've downloaded the 2007 "mini" version which means I'll be relying on urpmi to update it - should I wait a few weeks for the repositories to catch up?? Another thread here recommended to just use "official" - is that likely to break everything or is that the recommended path? Or should I just download the DVD and ignore urpmi for a while?

edit: Mistyped "official" instead of "community" in all the confusion. And yes I'm still confused what "2007 community" means...

Edited by neddie

I found the free isos on anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk so you can download via http/ftp.

So only 2007 official and only main and contrib?

I only see 2007 Community, no official exists anywhere. I'm gonna see if I can find some sources and manually add them without using easyurpmi.