Flash in 2007 on X86_64

CastrTroy

I am unable to get flash working in firefox on the 64 bit version of Mandriva 2007. I've downloaded a 32 bit version of firefox and installed that, since 2007 comes with a 64 bit version. I also ran the installer under linux32, because it failed to run otherwise. So, flash is installed with all the files in the proper folders, but when I visit a page with flash, the browser crashes. Deleting the installed flash plugin files resolves the crashing, but then there's no flash. Has anybody else got firefox working with flash under Mandriva 2007?

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Hi, Welcome aboard,

I don't have 2007 installed anymore, just waiting for the official release now, but when I had RC1 installed, I had flash working. I don't use the preinstalled firefox that comes with Mandriva, but always download the latest form Mozilla. When I install flash, I don't use the installer, I just open it and copy the 2 required files into firefoxes plugin directory, it always works fine for me. (non 64 bit by the way)

Edited by jagwah

Unless you really need your computer running in 64-bit mode, you are probably better off running in 32-bit mode. Flash does not have a 64-bit version, not even for 64-bit windows. You'll soon find that there is other software that does not run in 64-bit. I have a 64-bit processor running in 32-bit mode just so I can use all of the software that I need to, and it really isn't that much different in performance.

-Rob

Unless you really need your computer running in 64-bit mode, you are probably better off running in 32-bit mode. Flash does not have a 64-bit version, not even for 64-bit windows. You'll soon find that there is other software that does not run in 64-bit. I have a 64-bit processor running in 32-bit mode just so I can use all of the software that I need to, and it really isn't that much different in performance.

-Rob

I may just do that. I had problems with 32-bit Mandriva 2006 no recognizing my hard disk controller (Serial ATA on ASUS NForce Board) and not being able to install it. Since Mandriva 2007 has both the 32 and 64 bits versions on the same disk, I didn't even see an option for installing 32 bit version. After a quick google, here's the solution.

You can use it on both 32- and 64-bit x86 machines, the installer will detect your processor and boot the correct version of the installer. If you want to use a 32 bit installation on a 64 bit machine, you can select it by pressing F3 then F6 at the boot prompt.

Ugh... that reminds me of installing scsi drivers on windows. Why don't they just present you with an option?

FWIW I have been successful to install both Flash

and Java on Mandriva Cooker 2007 ( sunna 32-bit )

and is operative in the Firefox Browser that is

installed from the Live-CD to a HD.

But, having said that I gave Seamonkey a brief

shot and that didn't recognize either Flash or

Java. So I have some work and understanding to

do there.

you are probably better off running in 32-bit mode.

but you can consider having a 64 bits system,

with some chroot? environment being all 32 bits, or having

both 32 + 64 libraries, not that I could explain how to do it

What you should (and shouldn't) expect from 64-bit Linux

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/09/07/1632253

Not a perfect intro to 64 vs 32 bits, but some background anyway

What you should (and shouldn't) expect from 64-bit Linux

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/09/07/1632253

Nice article :beer:

I'm considering a 64 bit system sometime in the near future, but I think I'll run an IA32 version, than attempt an IA64 and live with the problems. At least for the time being, maybe it will be resolved in the future.

Unsure if you can create a chrooted environment or even mix and match libraries. I think it'd fubar the system, but again, not sure. I know someone here did install the wrong stuff on the wrong version mixing and matching, and he had to reinstall :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

I am still researching the 32/64 bits issue, although 64 distros

are now quite full of application, running 32+64 is interesting

These are the 2 "best" papers I could find so far

Installing apps in a 32-bit chroot in AMD64 Debian system

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/356

32-bit browsing in a 64-bit system

http://internet.newsforge.com/article.pl?s...0216&tid=13

• 3 weeks later...
I know that having to run a 32 bit OS on a shiny new 64 bit CPU kind of sucks

Not really, since very few apps are still coded in a way that takes advantage of the 64-bit architecture. In real life, performance differences in most common apps are from minuscule to nonexisting.

64-bit computing is certainly enough the future, but equally certainly not the present.