Help keep my PC and sanity in one piece [solved]

Guest Grundair

Guest Grundair

Hey folks. Mandriva has been on my machine for about a week. (Mandriva 10.1) Thought I got all the bugs worked out and STILL can not get on the net. Modem dials, handshakes and KPPP say';s it is connected. But load up Firefox, or any other browser and No net. Says page can't be found. OK After searching every post that has anything to do with connecting, Nada, Zip nothing. Editi the /resolv.conf file to clean it up. Checked the IFCONFIG says the modem is connected and recieving/transmiting. Set the DNS Address to what my ISP said to and still nothing. It is acting like a block is up and preventing the rest of the computer from seeing the internet. Just the modem.

Hardware:

Dell Deminsion 2400 2.4 ghz Celeron 840 megs of ram.

Soom external serial modem Model 3049

Intel 537 ep Win modem (Not used since I can't get the driver to complie)

Folks any ideas. I want to kick the winblows habit, but I need the machine to get on the net so I can do my work. Other than that then it become a large black paperweight on my desk

Chuck

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest Grundair
Welcome to MUB.

Maybe you need to to disable IPv6 addressing.

Edit the file /etc/modprobe.conf add the following line: alias net-pf-10 off

THanks, now for the stupip question of the hour. How do I edit. I used to use Debain (kubuntu) and the edit command was # sudo nano /etc <file name goes here>

Thanks Chuck

Guest Grundair

:wall:

Thanks but that file is not there. So where to now? Seems like I may have missed a couple of things on install that I seem to need. Looks liekit is time to the tried and true>>>>>>>>>>>BUilding in excitement!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Windows style format and reload!!. (OK Just kidding But I do need to find my sense of humor again!!

Again thanks for the tips

Chuck

Edited by Grundair

Guest Grundair

Sorrry I was unclear earlier. the file modcode.conf is their. So at the end I add in alias net-pf-10 off. I need to redo one of my dirves as FAT 32 so I can write to it and post the comand line. One thing is that I go into IFCONFIG and it gives me all the adresses the modemi s connected to. The intersting thing is RX packages 0 and TX packages is a ever increasing number. Acts like there is a blockage. Data goes out nothing comes in. If it was a heart I would angioplasty and stent the offending vessel!!!.

Chuck

Fact no.1: you do NOT need converting your windoze partitions to FAT32 to have R/W access. The new ntfs-3g driver is enough.

Fact no.2: cool down and try describing your actual Linux problems better, else chances are that you will screw your system without being able to get any decent support before screwing it BLR...

Just pop up ONE thing at a time and not like "how I do set up ifconfig, but yeah, my fstab is pants too, and I cannot surf, and I also want converting my drives and blah-blah-blah..."

Guest Grundair
Fact no.1: you do NOT need converting your windoze partitions to FAT32 to have R/W access. The new ntfs-3g driver is enough.

Fact no.2: cool down and try describing your actual Linux problems better, else chances are that you will screw your system without being able to get any decent support before screwing it BLR...

Just pop up ONE thing at a time and not like "how I do set up ifconfig, but yeah, my fstab is pants too, and I cannot surf, and I also want converting my drives and blah-blah-blah..."

Well now.. First off Mandriva is up and running fine. Can read and write to windoze.

Next is the fact that . the Zoom model 3049 serial modem will connect to my ISP. but there is no connection to my web browsers. IE Firefox gives the error "page not found" OR with the others URL is not valid. This is with all browsers. I am using KDE 3.4 desktop and the default KPPP dialer. No errors are given during the dial up or connect.

Thanks

Chuck

Edited by Grundair

Guest Grundair

Well fafter posting this I was doing some more dinking around and drew back onthe my old VAX VMS days and looked at the actual DNS address. Seems that the automatic ones where not correct. Went to my ISP and got the correct ones and low and behold . Posting to Mandriva .org via and Linux box!!!WHOO HOOO

Thanks again for all the help in sorting this out.

Chuck