Network card problem...

phunni

I have a wireless network card (not sure which make...) which I've been using succesfully with ndiswrapper for a few months now...

The last week or so, I've had occasional problems with my network which have all been resolved by restarting the network. Today I booted up my computer and, when it tried to start the network, I was told that irq #16 was being disabled and then (not surprisingly) the network failed to start.

I rebooted and all seems to be well - this time... What kind of things do I need to be looking at to get to the bottom of this problem and have a more stable, reliable network connection?

I am speculating. I have had this happen on occassion in my home network, and it also was resolved with restarting the network. Once, the system claimed the adapter was not present and ndiswrapper was not present. Yet, it would not install. On that occassion, I rebooted and it was fixed. So, I think the windows driver might be a bit flaky. Just my guess.

on a similar vein, i have need of replacing the nic in my desktop which i was using with ndiswrapper. i was using a usb adapter from netgear but don't think i want to do that again. does anyone have any suggestions of PCI wireless NICs to purchase and install?

thanks,

jon

I had ndiswrapper stop working for me in arch when something upgraded, can't remember which, and I couldn't get it working again.

Although, yours seems to be working if you reboot, so you have a little more luck than I did :P

I have this one on my desktop and it works great with the linux native madwifi driver:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16833127118

It has an atheros based chipset and the madwifi driver is the native linux driver for that. It works out of the box with PCLinuxOS which includes the madwifi drivers and should for any other distro that comes with madwifi preinstalled. There is an rpm for madwifi for mandriva which works fairly well in the standard station mode("sta"). I've also configured this card to act as a wireless access point("ap" mode) with the most recent madwifi drivers which you have to compile from source.

Edited by pmpatrick