newbie: Mandriva 2006 updates is 539mb?

acegap

Complete Newbie:

I have installed Mandriva 2006 and it has only taken me two and a half weeks to get the six month old adsl modem working.

Now that I am online with the linux computer it is telling me that the Updates I need total 539mb.

Does this all sound correct to you?

Thanks in advance.

I know it seems like a pain to have to download so much, directly after a fresh install, I had exactly the same shock (except bigger!) when I first updated. It depends a lot how much software you have installed (and therefore how much might need to be updated), and also how long the release has been out. In the case of 2006, it's almost exactly a year old, so it's quite likely that a lot of things have been updated since then.

The updates will partly be to fix bugs or problems that they've discovered after the release, and partly to cover up security issues which have since arisen. It's well worth getting the updates and checking them regularly. Future updates should be much smaller!

Hello acegap.

Keep in mind that Mandriva2006 was released nearly 1 year ago and and since that time, the OS and all the packages you installed have been further refined and debugged plus many improvements have been incorporated. The good news is that from now on the updates will be a steady trickle and your Mandriva 2006 can be kept right up to the minute. Daily, weekly or monthly the choice is yours. As a personal preference, I check a couple of time a day quite often but the norm would be daily. This is also important because security is watched continuously and quickly patched when needed. There is absolutely nothing equivalent in the windows world, ther you have to chase all over the place to get at least some of your updates.

Have fun with your Mandriva . Cheers. John.