Gnome accessing the harddrive [solved]

Dustpuppy

Desktop 2 has recently had a ram upgrade which means I can now run Gnome. However, about every two seconds the harddrive is accessed very briefly (enough to make a brief noise). Even when it's sitting there with nothing open it still does it :unsure:

I wanna make it stop!

Edited by Dustpuppy

Did this only occur after the ram upgrade? If so, take the ram out, does it go away?

If not, the noise to me sounds like your hard disk is on it's way out. Or try KDE instead or whatever you were running before and see if it occurs.

Is the noise like clicking? If so, the heads are crashing into the disk, and will wreck the disk eventually. I'd get all your data off it, and get a new disk.

Try reverting back to before the changes, and see if it stops, but I have a funny feeling it's hard disk failure.

If this started after you installed gnome, then I would suspect gnome as the culprit. Gnome runs a daemon called "gam_server", aka "gamin" that polls the filesystem every couple of seconds for alterations. Gamin has been known to cause problems in the past on some setups, in particular, excessive cpu usage. It could just be something like that or may be completely normal under gnome. There may be other gnome specific services for monitoring the filesystem which may be causing periodic disk reads. I doubt turning swap off will help as the activity is problably a disk read rather than a disk write to swap.

I also doubt that there is a problem with your hard drive unless you are experiencing other erratic systems. If you want to check the hard drive, download the diagnostic utilities from the hard drive manufacturer's website and run the diagnostics. That's usually the best way to tell.