nvidia gforce fx 5200 and mandriva 2007 [solved]

4di

i've recently use mandriva 2006 and when i heared of 3D desktop in mandriva 2007 i was so glad , but after installation i've notice that it does not work with nvidia, so my question is : when does nvidia work with mandriva 2007 3D

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

I'm unsure, you'd probably have to ask Mandriva directly here:

http://www.mandriva.com/

since they are the ones that make the product, we don't make it - we share the same name, but we're not linked with Mandriva in any way. We run independant.

Also, do you mean 3D Desktop? Or do you mean XGL? There's both products, and they're totally different. People have got XGL running with NVidia, and I would assume 3D Desktop also, but you probably don't have the correct driver installed, and are using the default nv driver that comes with Mandriva.

........ but you probably don't have the correct driver installed, and are using the default nv driver that comes with Mandriva.

yes , i did not install any drivers i just use those they are native .....

..... how do i install nvidia drivers using urpmi ?

You need to make sure you have all easyurpmi sources set up, so main, contrib, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree. Then you need to do:

urpmi dkms-nvidia

this will install the drivers for nvidia. However, before you do this, make sure you have your kernel source installed. First, do:

uname -a

to find out your kernel version, then install the kernel source, for the kernel you have installed. Here is an example from my machine:

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel-source
kernel-source-2.6.12.25mdk-1-1mdk

[ian@europa ~]$ uname -a
Linux europa.comprze.com.pl 2.6.12-25mdk-i686-up-4GB #1 Fri Aug 18 13:59:05 MDT 2006 i686 Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.80GHz unknown GNU/Linux

As you can see, the first command shows my kernel-source that I have installed. The second, shows my kernel version. They both match in terms of the 2.6.12.25 which is extremely important.

After this, install the dkms-nvidia, and you'll need to reboot, and it'll be working perfectly fine.

This isn't always the same solution, this exists for a few drivers that dkms injects the module into the kernel. Sometimes you have to download the installer directly. I used to download the nvidia driver directly from nvidia, but whenever I updated my kernel, I had to manually re-run the install.

With dkms, if you update your kernel, when you reboot and start to use the new kernel, the dkms module will be injected into the new kernel, and your system will boot normally without you having to do anything else. This is a really cool feature :D

Glad you got it all working ;)