Reinstall & Update

jgw

My problem with this one is that konqueror is a kde application and I am running with GNOME. This, therefore, is a complete mystery to me

Well you may just want to try KDE (Do you know how to do that?)

waht mandriva version have you got? is this 2006 by any chance?

The file association I believe is specific to KDE (but maybe not),

so if you double click on an html file in nautilus say, this will

launch whatever but probably not newest version of firefox

even if you had done the konqueror step

Presumably konqueror will run under gnone (never tried) if

all the library are installed

just start a terminal and type

konqueror

see if this works, at least you will discover konqueror

not using gnome, so little idea more than that

as I said before you can install opera as a spare backup browser

Edited by emmanuel_uk

Nautilus is a browser within Gnome, maybe this is better than using Gnome apps.

Alternatively, download the latest Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com and then extract this to maybe /usr/local/mozilla/firefox (this is where I have mine), and then to run it, create a shortcut pointing to /usr/local/mozilla/firefox/firefox

Note the two levels of firefox. The first is the directory you extracted to, and the second is the program to run.

Thanks for all the replies!

I want to run GNOME as I want to do some Plain C (not C++) programming and that seems to be the way to go to do that.

I have not installed firefox yet as I was shooting, exactly, for the directories suggested but that means I must be logged in as root and I do not know how to do that outside of the terminal. If I call the unzipper from a terminal (logged in to root) would that work?

I did install forefox sucessfully one time. The problem was that I did not like where I had stuck it. I suspect that if I install it in the right place that the system is going to have less problems recognizing that its there?

Yes, you can su at command prompt, and then run ark or whatever to extract the files.

Alternatively, you can choose run, and then choose the advanced option to run as a different user, and then choose root and enter the appropriate password as well as the app to run.

It doesn't matter where you extract firefox in all honesty, the system won't mind. It's all personal preference anyhow. And beside, you have to create your own desktop icon or menu entries for the extracted program anyhow - they won't appear automatically unless you install the Mandriva packaged version using Install Software, or from the command line using urpmi.