Reinstall & Update

jgw

I have reinstalled and now am updating. I found "urpmi --auto-select --auto" and did that. It promptly updated 34 programs.

It also told me:

medium "updates" uses an invalid list file:

mirror is probably not up-to-date, trying to use alternate method

I have run easy urpmi - for everything and for updates by itself. In each instance there were no errors and things seemed to work just fine. On the other hand I get this invalid list thing no matter what I do. I also wonder what 'alternate method' means.

It also tries to update firefox 1.0.6 (which is installed on my machine and the screen is really messed up) to the latest and greatest. In this case I am told:

Installation failed:

mozilla-firefox = 1.0.6 is needed by (installed) yelp-2.12.2-2mdk.i586

I went out and tried to find 1.0.6 but it seems to be not available.

This is all very mysterious to me. I am assuming that easy urpmi simply 'knows' where the valid list files are and downloads the proper files, based on the chosen url, into this machine (I have, incidentally, tried at least 11 different urls but assume that should not make any difference as they should all be valid?). Then, when the control center is run that program goes out, reads the easy urpmi approved file lists, updates its information and determines what needs updating based on what is in the file list and what is in the machine. Anything that needs updating is then updated. The files needed for the update(s) are determined, again by the list file and then downloaded into my machine and installed. This seems to be pretty straightforward. There are, however, some details that are a little fuzzy. the control center, for instance, updates itself anytime it is run. It updates itself on the net. It uses the list file to know where to go on the net? If one has just downloaded the 'valid' list then what in the world is it updating? (one would think a simple crc check against the existing file would do the job). All that being said - I cannot seem to get past the up-to-date error.

What was truly interesting is that the urpmi --auto-select --auto command did a much better job than the control center in that it charged ahead and did its thing inspite of the up-to-date problem. Whoever posted that one has my gratitude.

Thank you.............

I had this same error message with the updates medium recently. This is how I solved it.

Go into System/Configuration/Packaging/Software Media Manager. Click the updates medium, and then click the edit button. Then just click the save button.

After this, I never got the error message again. After this, do:

urpmi.update -a

to update all mediums, and then try:

urpmi --auto-select

again. I've done it without auto this time, so you can see what it's attempting to install.

<<I went out and tried to find 1.0.6 but it seems to be not available>>

go to get mozilla firefox website

the latest version is 1.5.07 I think

this is not an rpm anymore hence why you cannot update

(watch out you may have the two versions coexisting)

I do have 1.0.6 on my machine. I thought to delete it but, if I do that, it will also ephiphany and leave me with no browsers. I then went to the firefox website. Read what I need to install. One program is called xfree86 This seems to be a handler for video cards. I am running with a tnt2 (nvidia). I then did a little search on xfree and nvidia. Seems that there might be a problem if its done wrong. In my list of xfree86's I could not find one specifically for the tnt2 (nvidia). Now I am stuck.

Any thoughts on this one? (other than to swap out my video card)

Thanks..............

Read what I need to install

This might have confused you,; you should already have

everything needed installed. Just go ahead with the download and install firefox.

Unless I do not understand something

Konqueror is a web browser (as well)

you can also install opera before you delete firefox if that worries you

(I also hinted that you could have 2 versions of firefox coexisting,

you can start with that, and then delete the old version via drakrpm-remove.

When they coexist all the icons will point to the old version

to start the new version you will need, for example either

- run it from command line something of the like /opt/firefox/firefox

- create a new icon

- change the settings in konqueror for files association type txt (then subtype html)

to point to new firefox version)

Cannot really help with nvidia. Installing firefox will not

damage your video settings.

Read what I need to install

This might have confused you,; you should already have

everything needed installed. Just go ahead with the download and install firefox.

Unless I do not understand something

Konqueror is a web browser (as well)

you can also install opera before you delete firefox if that worries you

I would really like to install firefox. I have downloaded the tar file but there is no install in that package (from firefox.com) and I have no clue where to go with that one. When I try and install from MMC (this happens automatically when I try and update Epiphany) I got the age old (for me) error that my update file is possibly out of date (I have run easy urpmi many times, choosing different url's each time to no avail, I have also followed any and all suggestions - to no avail - my system simply refuses to do it).

All this started when I re-installed mandriva from the december 2006 dvd. Perhaps I should download the 2006 core cd and reinstall all over again? (this is no big deal - just takes time) My only problem with that is that I am not sure it just won't make the problem worse.

I would really like to install firefox. I have downloaded the tar file but there is no install in that package (from firefox.com) and I have no clue where to go with that one.

If you unzip this file it will contain a folder called firefox. Put this folder anywhere you like (mine is inside /opt). To launch firefox go to a command line and type /opt/firefox/firefox

You can also make a shortcut on your desktop which runs the command /opt/firefox/firefox

Thank you. I did that and I can run firefox (latest and greatest). The problem is that mandriva does not know its really there. For instance, when I went and tried to remove firefox 1.0.6 I was told that it also had to remove GNOME and Epiphany. I really want my desktop to be GNOME so I cannot do that. I also added firefox to the menu for easy access and there is no problem there. Something is very strange I fear.

Thank you. I did that and I can run firefox (latest and greatest). The problem is that mandriva does not know its really there

Well that is true. Since you did not install the latest firefox using urpmi, the package installer doesn't know the new firefox exists. This is OK. Realize also that in the future if you want to update your new firefox, you will need to do it manually.

Ahhh...dependency hell. You want to remove the old firefox but dependencies dictate that additional software needs to be removed as well. I can't offer any help. Anybody else?

when I went and tried to remove firefox 1.0.6

you can remove it without removing anything else

excuse the command line, but because it is universal,

and a good learning exercise, here goes

as root

rpm -e --nodeps firefox_name_ofprm.rpm

(the nodeps is very important, check the man page, man rpm for the excact syntax)

The problem is that mandriva does not know its really there

see my previous hint

konqueror / sub menu preference or option it is called then

change the settings in konqueror for files association type txt (then subtype html)

this add application, then make it top of the list

Hope it makes sense (it will once you have found the menu)

Edited by emmanuel_uk

thank you for the reply. I have to assume that I will need to install konqueror to make this happen? Just looked and cannot find that program. I am, however, using gnome for a desktop and that, I fear, is perhaps making things difficult? I just wish that I could somehow fix my 'updates' file (mmc) so that it worked. I have done the easy urpmi thing (several times - different url's, etc) and also updated inside mmc to no avail.

Now, the command: rpm -e --nodeps firefox_name_ofprm.rpm is interesting. I think that "firefox_name_ofprm.rpm" is supposed to be the name of the package in question? I did a query and what I have is mozilla-firefox-1.0.6-16.4.20060mdk - will that work?

thanks again.............

Edited by jgw

Then, after I do that there is:

konqueror / sub menu preference or option it is called then

change the settings in konqueror for files association type txt (then subtype html)

this add application, then make it top of the list

My problem with this one is that konqueror is a kde application and I am running with GNOME. This, therefore, is a complete mystery to me.