Mandriva One 2007 Sunna + ATI 9200

Patkos Csaba

I tried to run Mandriva One 2007 RC2 directly from CD on my PC: P3 1.1GHz, ATI Radeon 9200, 372MB RAM. 3D desktop can not be enabled. At the last step of the configuration dialog it says that my vga card has NO 3D capabilities... strange ... Any attempt to configure drivers and restart X results in system freeze. I did not tried to install it, becouse I'm waiting for the final version, but I was curiouse to see the "wow" effect of the 3D desktop ... however I didn't :unsure:

If you managed to run 3D in live mode from this CD on a similar computer please tell me .... thanks.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

The liveCD loads the xorg driver for the radeon, which won't enable aiglx and/or xgl.

For that you need the driver from ATi, which can be installed after installing the liveCD to harddisk.

There *might* be a liveCD or DVD of some distro with the ATi drivers included, I don't know as I don't have ATi hardware.

And I need to warn you that 3D Desktop will be quite heavy for your system.

There are a few One cd's that contain the ATI and Nvidia drivers so you can check out AIGLX or XGL . Look for the ones that are not labeled free.

I thought you could use AIGLX with the xorg driver just by making sure the composite extention box was checked.

But for Ogl and XGL you need the proprietary driver and make sure composite is unchecked for ATI.. you can check the XV extention but for me it when ever I tried playing a DVD the media player's would crash.

I choose to install the free dvd. There are some bugs in the One cd's well atleast One KDE 1 and 3. 1 bug was an old one that configures your firewire as eth0. I can't remember what the other one was offhand.

Edited by DarkFoss