WiFi is fast, wired connection is slow [solved]

coverup

This is a tough one...

I was connected via VPN to my server at work, when suddenly my USB mouse died, and I was stupid enough to kill the X server and reboot (one of those days, you know...). After the computer restarted, I had to manually fix /etc/resolv.conf to remove entries added by pptpconfig, and my network was back to normal - almost, that is... For some strange reason, when the computer is connected to the network via a network cable (eth0), webpages served by the webserver at work (on the same network as the VPN server) load noticably slower than they used to load. But if the connection is via the wireless card (eth1), the network works perfectly and the same pages load at no time. On the other computer, these pages also load fast. This makes me think that there is some other settings I have to check, but I can't think of anything. I should note that I was connected to VPN via eth0, and I was using pptpconfig to establish the VPN connection. Eth0 (wired) and eth1 (wireless) have different IP addresses but on the same subnet, and they connect to the same router.

Does anybody have an idea what happened or suggest what I should check? Any ideas are welcome, no matter how weird the are.

PS. I have also tried to load Windows on the same box using the same IP address - worked perfectly, aaand also tried to assign a different IP address to eth0 - worked just as bad. Hence my guess is the problem occurs when I use eth0 - no matter what IP address is assigned to it...

Whats the contents of:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

/etc/resolv.conf

and do you have ipv6 enabled? This is quite common for slow responses. Check /etc/modprobe.conf for this line:

alias net-pf-10 off

does it exist? If not, ipv6 is enabled, might be worth disabling and see what happens. It doesn't always affect every network card, only some. One that springs to mind are Realtek ones.

Thanks, Ian.

ifcfg-eth0 and resolv.conf look absolutely fine, and I have no problem with browsing/networking, except for browsing my work webserver. The problem only occurs when I use eth0, and only when browsing/downloading via a web browser (and yes, I tried firefox,konqueror, opera and IE under crossover office - same result). Secure login to the same host works seemslessly.

The card is an Intel onboard network card, it works fine with e1000 driver.

/sbin/modprobe -c gives alias net-pf-10 off, but I tried your suggestion anyway, and it did nor make any difference. It looks like web packets from my webserver at work go through some hoops and loops, as download speed from that site is 0.5KB/sec...

Since everything works fine using eth1, I wonder if it is possible to create a new eth2 device for my network card?

I think its more likely that your DNS resolution isn't changing over on eth1

if the sites you mention contain images/ads etc from other domains.

I do agree this is a DNS prob but I can't figure out where exactly the bottleneck is. :wall: My own webpage is among those causing a problem, and I know exactly that there is nothing on that page which could cause that much delay - no java, external ads, it contains only one image of about 25K in size. :wall::wall::wall:

Don't know what happened but my system has cured itself! :g-balloon::b-balloon::r-balloon::jump::jump::jump: I don't have any explanation. This morning I plugged the laptop to the network at work and switched to the corresponding network profile - all sites loaded fine. When I got back home and switched back to the home net profile, all problematic sites worked as if nothing happened. I should say that I did try switching profiles before (without actually plugging to another network), and this did not help...