Twinview Maximize [solved]

Bobbert

I am using Mandriva 2007 and wanted to try out XGL on dual monitors on my GeForce FX 5200. When I set up the dual heads as two screens with xinerama, X works fine (windows maximize to one screen) but XGL will only work on one monitor because OpenGL only works on the primary display. When I use twinview WITHOUT xinerama, XGL now works, however, when I maximize a window it fills up both screens (but the panel stays on one screen). KDE recognizes two displays, and in the display settings I have tried checking and un-checking everything under Multiple Monitors but still cannot get my windows to maximize on one screen. I logged into gnome, same thing happens... what am I missing that could cause this?

Here is a section of my xorg.conf

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Screen 0

BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

Option "DPMS"

Option "CursorShadowYOffset" "3"

Option "CursorShadow"

Option "NoLogo" "True"

Option "CursorShadowXOffset" "3"

Option "HWcursor"

Option "AllowGLXWithComposite"

Option "TwinView" "1"

Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "UseEdidFreqs"

Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1280x1024; 1280x1024; 1024x768,1024x768; 1024x768; 800x600,800x600; 800x600"

Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "UseEdidFreqs"

Option "RenderAccel" "True"

# Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT,CRT"

Option "RenderAccel"

Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"

Option "CursorShadowAlpha" "32"

EndSection

[Moved from Hardware by arctic]

Edited by Bobbert

I am having a simliar problem. I have been using twinview with my nvidia 6600 card on dual dvi dell monitors for a couple of years. I did a clean install of "sunna" without 3ddesktop and used my xorg.conf (looking very much like yours) maximize worked as before. Now with 3ddesktop and the current install I am having a few issues. The maximize worked great with 2006.

See my other post regarding this issue: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=34972

edit: I have never used the xinerama option, only twinview cause I like XGL running.

Edited by oshunluvr

Well, I found out that Compiz uses gnome's settings, and gnome only sees my display as one monitor. It doesn't matter what setting kde has. How do I get gnome to recognize two monitors? Gnome is only recognizing one, where is there a setting to change that? Once we get gnome to see 2 monitors we should be set with compiz.

OK, I figured it out. Add a contrib from the cooker easy urpmi database. Install the packages compiz-quinnstorm, compiz-quinnstorm-plugins and compiz-manager. You will need to remove compiz when you do that because you can only use one or the other compiz or compiz-quinnstorm. Once you have those installed just run compiz-manager and voila!

OK, I figured it out. Add a contrib from the cooker easy urpmi database. Install the packages compiz-quinnstorm, compiz-quinnstorm-plugins and compiz-manager. You will need to remove compiz when you do that because you can only use one or the other compiz or compiz-quinnstorm. Once you have those installed just run compiz-manager and voila!

What source did you use? The one I had hooked up didn't have the plugins or manager packages and when I found them via pbone they conflicted with the first quinnstorm package

EDIT: Ok I found one that was current (carroll.cac.psu.edu). I also needed csm-0.12-4mdv. I will report back

Edited by oshunluvr

Did the install. packages conflicted with task-3ddesktop requiring uninstall of that package. When I rebooted, 3ddesktop was not enabled. When I went to the Configure Your Computer and selected 3ddesktop, it re-installed task-3ddesktop and enabled it.

BUT no change in behavior. Maximize still spans both monitors and "shade" by double-clicking on the title bar causes maximize.

Did the install. packages conflicted with task-3ddesktop requiring uninstall of that package. When I rebooted, 3ddesktop was not enabled. When I went to the Configure Your Computer and selected 3ddesktop, it re-installed task-3ddesktop and enabled it.

BUT no change in behavior. Maximize still spans both monitors and "shade" by double-clicking on the title bar causes maximize.

Don't install task-3ddesktop. Install 3ddesktop using urpmi but do NOT install task-3ddesktop because compiz is a requirement. You will also need cgwd and cgwd-themes installed as well as the packages I earlier metioned. After installing that stuff do not use the configure your computer to start it because that uses compiz, not compiz-quinnstorm. Instead use

cd ~/.kde/Autostart

ln -s /usr/bin/compiz-manager .

then restart kde. that should work and start compiz-quinnstorm everytime you start kde. It works on two installations for me. B)