Wine's Been a Little Drinky drinky

michaelc

Run winecfg and then change from auto-detect to Windows 2000 or XP. It's probably set to Windows 98, which is why it's not working for you.

Although, not all apps will install through wine.

there's a point?

the error fits. he's not running windows 2000 or xp...i seem to have missed the humour.

Humor aside, you can set the installer as a 2000/XP application via "winecfg".

But, iTunes 7 won't even manage to install properly, while iTunes 6 will install, but operate with loads of glitches and issues.

iTunes is a BAD jukebox, even when run natively, and Linux has a couple of applications which immitate its looks (e.g gtkpod), and while being equally disfunctional, they do have MORE options than the Apple sort- of-application...

the funny part here is that iTunes is an Apple's program that insists that you should be running Windows.

That would be because he's installing the windows version of the program. There is also the MacOS version, which wouldn't work under wine - because it's a MacOS program, not a Windows program :P

Therefore, I am still missing the humour.

Maybe the confusion is over whether this error message is coming from a Linux box or a Mac. It was never explicitly said that this is Linux and that screengrab does look like it could be a Mac!!

In which case, trying to get the Windows version of iTunes to run inside Wine inside a Mac would indeed be silly. But trying to do that on Linux would not. ;)

The humour I found was that Wine is made to get you around OS limitations, but here it is telling me that it didn't do its job very well.

newsflash - it can't run everything :P - you can't expect great feats from reverse engineered code. especially when the program you're trying to use has so many proprietery things in it, that it's almost insane.