Skype [Solved]

laiback

I'm wanting to use Skype and have successfully loaded it and tested the sound using Echo123. But after the sound test I find that Kmix has gone, the current mixer window shows a blank. Also I notice that on boot up the Alsa line fails, I've not noticed the red FAILED message before . Now this may be OK since I've changed the sound driver to ali5455 which is an OSS driver, the type preferred by Skype (I used MCC for this config change). Now you may think that I did something wrong, well yes that could be the case, but this problem has now occurred on both my PCs. The first one has been rendered US for the moment as I attempted to cure the missing Kmix issue; KDE disappeared altogether, my fault I'm sure. But now it's happened on my replacement pc as well, at the same time/place, i.e. just after I tested the sound using Echo123. Too much of a coincidence I feel.

Could the sound systems have blown? Can I test them without Kmix running. When I attempt to play a CD or ogg file I get silence, just the default OUT file no doubt, which isn't sound on my speakers. Perhaps the mic is faulty, but it worked using Recorder and for the Skype test.

Any ideas gentlepeople?

Many thanks

Edited by laiback

Yes thanks.

Went into MCC and reset the driver to Alsa, now Kmix is back. After further messing around with Skype and the Echo service I seem to have got settings that work with the Alsa driver, not Skype recommended but so what as I have my sound and Kmix back and can also make a Skype call, which by the way is fantastic as I can speak to me daughter who has just gone off to Uni.

It's interesting that just by writing a thread for the forum helps to clarify the mind and give you ideas for a solution.

All I have to do now is rebuild my main pc. Oh well, that will give me a chance to reformat the HD to my specs rather than leave it on default.

Many thanks.