Gnome Panel [solved]

Ironfighter

I am trying Gnome instead of KDE on my desktop - its anyones perogative to change their mind ;)

The thing is when I start a gnome session from the login window I get the gnome desktop with three icons - Computer, Home & Wastebasket. Not a sign of the panel. I get round this at the moment by right clicking on the desktop and running the command $kicker in the terminal window. This loads up the KDE panel from my KDE settings. I suppose I could just leave it the way it is but I would prefer to have the gnome desktop do all this for me on login. Can anyone tell me how to do this please.

Try starting gnome-panel IIRC this is how it's called.

Thanks but it didn't work;-

[laurie@localhost laurie]$ gnome-panel IIRC

bash: gnome-panel: command not found

[laurie@localhost laurie]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost laurie]# gnome-panel IIRC

bash: gnome-panel: command not found

[root@localhost laurie]#

Have I followed you instructions properly?

"gnome-panel" is the right command. I second Ian. It ain't probably installed.

Thanks everyone - I did # urpmi gnome-panel and sure enough the panel came up next time I logged on.

I never thought that it might not be installed.

To Dexter - IIRC :woops: I suppose you got a laugh out of that - I did. :D

Now I have to get rid of that yellow star again - I don't like that star.

Congratulations Ironfighter for getting Gnome working. It may appear simple but it is very capable.

As a counterpoint I installed Mandriva from the Sunna Gnome CD and can not get KDE started. No big loss.

Edited by apbsa

Now I have to get rid of that yellow star again - I don't like that star.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=30334

Thanks Arctic - I had used Ians tips once before (when I wanted to change the star to the KDE logo :D ). As I am using Mandrake 10.1 Community version I had to do a bit of juggling because the link is in a sub folder called /usr/share/pixmaps/mdk. I have attached a screenshot (note the gnome icon in the bottom left hand corner :D ) just in case it is of help to anyone else.

apbsa - thank you for your encouragement - I am enjoying the gnome experience so far - but as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Peace Linux people ;) and thanks again.post-11354-1158922447_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have Ironfighter's original problem, but it came about after adding software and rebooting. I normally run Gnome, but on reboot the panel was gone and I just had the desktop icons. I wanted to try getting a terminal to fix it via the advice in this thread, but I can't seem to get a terminal even! I right click on the desktop and get a menu: "Create Folder, etc.", but no terminal. How does this newbie fix this? (I'm quickly learning KDE.)