LM9.0 Installation Freezes

sglafata

My install freezes all the time while installing the applications. I am able to get thru the initial installation portion, but after, when it is ready to install the applications, it freezes at different points.

I have a CompUSA CompPC Home Series and the motherboard, a GVC, is on the hardware list as being supported. I have 192MB RAM, NVidia Riva TNT2 AGP card, 2 HDDs (a 13GB Seagate and a 20GB Maxtor), ATAPI CDRW and a 42x CDROM, floppy, USB Quickcam VC (it is not connected while installing), HP Deskjet 697C, hub, cable modem.

This same computer installed LM8.1 without any issues, LM8.2 installed successfully after 3 attempts and now with LM9.0, it just does not want to install.

The ISO's I downloaded checked out when I MD5SUMed them.

I have a feeling that you are having a bad burn. It's not just enough to check the md5sum, you need to make sure that the cds you burned are good also.

One of the culprit for this is burning at too high a speed. I don't care what technology and what is the maximum speed the cdburner can do right now, the highest safe speed for burning cd is 4x for me. A 20 minute wait for the cd to finish burning is nothing to compared to the hours researching what is wrong with a cd installation or such. I suggest you burn the cds at that speed or lower, a good CDR or CDRW also help.

Hope it helps.

I agree with both of you that a slower burn makes a better CD burn, but unfortunately, 4x is the max I can burn on my CD burner. It's an older burner, but it works for me.

So, I guess I'm going to have to try downloading new images and try it again. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks guys!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it took a while, but after re-burning new CDs and verifying the MD5SUMs and everything was perfect, when I tried to install, I had the same problem.

I did get a lot further than I did in the past, but it still froze while it was installing the packages. I was not viewing the Details as you all suggested and I downloaded the ISOs from current "legal, certified, whatever you want to call it" Mandrake mirrors. I even tried the LINUX DEV=NOAPIC option and that make it stall even sooner.

Any other suggestions? I did read to remove the 2nd CD drive. I haven't tried that yet.

To be continued........

Guest Stumbles
Well, it took a while, but after re-burning new CDs and verifying the MD5SUMs and everything was perfect, when I tried to install, I had the same problem.  

I did get a lot further than I did in the past, but it still froze while it was installing the packages. I was not viewing the Details as you all suggested and I downloaded the ISOs from current "legal, certified, whatever you want to call it" Mandrake mirrors.  I even tried the LINUX DEV=NOAPIC option and that make it stall even sooner.  

Any other suggestions? I did read to remove the 2nd CD drive. I haven't tried that yet.  

To be continued........

System problem?

Well, I finally got it installed after about 5 attempts and different combinations of options that were suggested by many different people from several different boards.

Here is how I got LM9.0 installed:

1. I disconnected my 2nd CD drive

2. After pressing F1, I typed: linux noapic ide=nodma

3. I chose fewer packages to install and slowly began installing packages that I needed after reboot.

I don't know what combination of these allowed it to install, but I thank all of you for your experiences and suggestions. I do know that when I look at the logs, it states that APIC was disabled and that it was re-enabling it, so that may have been insignificant, but I'm glad that I got it installed.

Again, I thank all of you who "helped" me!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally solved the problem by hitting F1 and typing "linux ide=nodma". Prior to that, I tried all

the obvious: download, checksum, reburn, try lower speed. All to no avail. It was very perplexing, because I am able to get 8.1 installed easilly whether the hd has direct mem access enabled or not.I'm running a P4VMM2 mainboard, a VIA VT8751 (P4M266) Northbridge and

a VT8233 Southbridge. I can't as yet get use of the AC 97 audio codec. I'm ready to throw in the towel and buy a sound blaster live. I'm a newbie, a windows user, and am very impressed with mdk90. I hope this post helps another frustrated user. Remember, "linux ide=nodma"

agendelman@compuserve.com

Guest Stumbles
I can't as yet get use of the AC 97 audio codec.  I'm ready to throw in the towel and buy a sound blaster live.  I'm a newbie, a windows user, and am very impressed with mdk90.  I hope this post helps another frustrated user.  Remember, "linux ide=nodma"

agendelman@compuserve.com

I did'nt think about turning off DMA. Glad you found the solution. Personally I never have liked built in audio. I still use a the SB AWE card I've had for 5 years now. I dont know how well the newest SB are supported in linux. You might want to check that out before buying.

Linux can be fustrating at times, especailly to a fresh user from windows. Glad you're staying with it.

Guest amaarse

I am afraid that turning off DMA during the installation process is not enough. I had (have) exactly the same problem, see the similar thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=870

With the motherboard's default settings (i.e. UDMA is on for all hard disks) my system keeps doing VERY SPOOKY THINGS. I had to switch off DMA permanently, which is rediculous of couse, but nevertheless.

Guest Stumbles
I am afraid that turning off DMA during the installation process is not enough. I had (have) exactly the same problem, see the similar thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=870

With the motherboard's default settings (i.e. UDMA is on for all hard disks) my system keeps doing VERY SPOOKY THINGS. I had to switch off DMA permanently, which is rediculous of couse, but nevertheless.

Dunno if this will help but have you tried turning off Plug and Pray in your CMOS?

Guest amaarse

Nope. But it looks like things are going in the right direction now, with the hints I got in "my" thread.

Conclusion: if you need to pass ide=noide during the install, later make sure that modules for your chipset are loaded.

If my machine keeps working as it does now, I will not try anything else.