Mandriva 2007 RC2 Sunna is out

dexter11

The last RC of Mandriva 2007 is out. It's available as 1 DVD or 3-3 CD (i586 and x86_64) or 14 live CDs.

Changes from 2007 RC1

* Several bugs fixed in rpmdrake

* Text installation fixed

* Various fixes to Ia Ora themes

* arts patched to prevent some problems (apps dying on startup, arts being launched in non-KDE environments)

* various other bugfixes

Known issues

* for bluetooth pairing to work, you must run the command passkey-agent --default /bin/bluepin

* you must run the command hciconfig hci0 piscan as root to make your bluetooth adapter discoverable by other devices

* upgrading from 2006 to 2007 via the installer is not recommended at present due to several bugs

* users of SiS? or VIA graphics chipsets may experience problems: see http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=24050 for information and possible workarounds

* the Add... button for adding software sources in rpmdrake does not currently work correctly

* if you choose Chinese, Japanese or Korean as one of your languages during installation, your system will seem to hang at a blue screen during startup. To fix this, switch to a console with ctrl-alt-F1, log in as root, run killall drakfirsttime and then urpme drakfirsttime

Release notes here. List of mirrors here.

I was just about to ask if there was a list of applications and version numbers for the new version, so I could compare with my 2005 and get an idea how much new stuff there will be. Or even if there was a cunning way to generate such a list from the hdlist.cz files...

But then I scrolled down this page and found a lot of the answers already there!

Certainly seems like a lot!

I've come across the strangest problem with the recent beta and RC releases of Mandriva 2007.

I'm running a 1.2GHz system with 256MB of RAM and an Nvidia GeForce 2MX graphics card (and have been testing this with an ATI Radeon 9250, just in case it was an Nvidia-only thing). Theoretically, this system should run a AIGLX desktop just fine... and it does, as long as I install 2007 from the 3 CD install set and not run it from the One live CDs.

If I boot up with the One live CDs (any of them, as I've downloaded many of the different builds available) Mandriva tells me that my hardware does not support 3D acceleration. But, if I do an install, I get AIGLX running "out of the box."

It's a very odd bug. I've filed it with Bugzilla, but nothing seems to have been done about it yet. Hopefully it will be taken care of before the final release.

I hope that Mandriva's management doesn't rush 2007's release. I'd rather it be late and working well than on-time and running poorly.

Mandriva is right: Aiglx is not running currently with nvidia hardware, no matter if you use (in your case) the "nv" or the proprietary "nvidia" driver (and besides that, your rather old card will only work with the legacy nvidia driver, so it would probably NEVER deliver aiglx content). Newer nvidia cards will manage aiglx content with the new 9XXX series' driver, which is still on the drawing board.

You probably confuse (ai)glx with xgl, which is a very different thing.

Edited by scarecrow

Mandriva is right: Aiglx is not running currently with nvidia hardware, no matter if you use (in your case) the "nv" or the proprietary "nvidia" driver (and besides that, your rather old card will only work with the legacy nvidia driver, so it would probably NEVER deliver aiglx content). Newer nvidia cards will manage aiglx content with the new 9XXX series' driver, which is still on the drawing board.

You probably confuse (ai)glx with xgl, which is a very different thing.

Ah, yes, I believe that you are correct. However, I thought 2007 decides upon using AIGLX or XGL based on the hardware configuration.

A side note to this is, as mentioned, I also tried it with an ATI card. It would configure properly with the install CDs but not with the live One CD. So, taking Nvidia out of the equation still ended with the same results. I got AIGLX/XGL "out of the box" by installing it and got "3D acceleration unsupported" with the live CD.

It does. I have an nvidia 6200 and AIGLX was greyed out to me.

Your Radeon card is pretty old too. Maybe they put only a few Radeon drivers on the One CDs which donb't support your old card.

Probably something like that. I'm not a "hardware guy", so it's probably just something I'm not seeing. Although, both systems (live / install) seem to be identifying the card properly and appear to be using the same ATI driver.

I did get some more information from one of the Mandriva dev. team. My problems with my Nvidia card is with the legacy driver, which I imagine my older card is using.

This makes sense. However, this requirement should be included in the Mandriva 2007 specifications at some point. Stating that you need a 3D accelerated card to rung AIGLX/XGL is not enough information and technically incorrect. And I don't recall reading any specifciations that state you need at least an ATI brand/model X or Nvidia brand/model Y. Of course, it could be that I just haven't looked in the right place.

Anyway, at least the installed version works with the ATI card, so I at least have that option.

Edited by judland

I just did a fresh install of 2007 RC2 from the 3 CDs and I'm very happy about several things:

1. I was hoping to be able to install it on an external SATA drive. The installer recognized it and the install went smoothly with no problems. Mandriva 2006 did not recognize the eSATA drive, so I'm very pleased about this. The drive is connected to a new SATA PCI adapter that I recently installed as my two motherboard SATA slots were already filled.

2. Bootup is very fast. That's a major plus. :thumbs:

3. The 3D AIGLX works with no problems (ATI 9200SE video card). Not sure I'm gonna keep it using it, since it's seems like it's mostly flash with not that much important new functionality that I've found so far. I'll have to check into what it can really do for me once I get more time.

4. My Samsung laser printer works fine with drivers that were available on the CD.

So I'm quite pleased so far.

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot: arrgh to all you pirates celebrating Pirates Day out there.

Edited by jboy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest k4ever

How do I force Mandriva to use AIGLX instead of XGL? XGL seems to have problems with some of my favorite 3d games (scorched3d and nexuiz). I have a Gateway 7510 laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon X600. XGL works ok. It has problems if you try to change the desktop enviroment/windows manager. Right now I just leave it in KDE. I also had to add a DRI section to my xorg.conf file to change the permissions to 0666 for everything to work right. I had AIGLX when I used the livecd. The install forces me to XGL. Any help would be appreciated.

k4ever