not very newb friendly is it! [solved]

bikeman

I am following your advise step by step - I am posting everything here so you can see.

what do you get when you type

uname -a

this

[root@localhost ~]# uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.12-19mdk-i586-up-1GB #1 Mon Apr 10 13:28:48 EDT 2006 i686 Pentium III (Katmai) unknown GNU/Linux

[root@localhost ~]#

? Please post it as the kernel number in there will reveal if you downloaded a working, stable release of if you accidently downloaded a development version. Also: When you downloaded the iso-image, did you verify that the iso matched the md5sum check (thus preventing a corrupt download)?

the download was from the mandriva site so it should be ok. the md5sum matched

Restoring the bootloader with the live-cd is not as easy as with the normal install-CDs, I admit. If you have the normal install CDs, you simply pop in the 1st CD, start rescue mode, select "reinstall bootloader" and that's it. So, if Mandriva One is too problematic, either try the default install set (3 CDs) or try another distro like Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora or whatever you think might be useful for you. (take the distroquiz: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/)

I dont really care what distro I use... one that installs would be nice. I have already tried ubuntu.. that didn't install properly either!

Linux is ready for mass adoption (otherwise millions of users wouldn't use it), but every operating system is only as good as the hardware you throw at it and the knowledge the user posesses about an operating system. Whenever you use an operating system, you have to learn how it works. This is the same in Linux, Mac and Windows. Or did you know everything about Windows the first day you tested it? ;)

no, but it did install - so I had a chance to learn how to use it...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, this is some valuable information. CD is the correct one, apparently no corrupt download. But if Ubuntu also fails setting up a bootloader, then please give us some information on your hardware, as it is very rare that two different distros fail for different reasons installing a bootloader. Perhaps the problem lies somewhere in your BIOS settings.

Windows is not as sensitive when it comes to hardware as Linux. This is an advantages and also a disadvantage, depending on the scenario.

tried the distro chooser - it suggested mandriva or ubuntu.

what would you like to know about my hardware: I have a HP vectra vl PIII-550Mhz with 512Mb ram and 10GbHD.

It was previously working as dual boot with win98 and Mandrake 9.2. I only tried to update to mandriva one because the app I wanted to use didn't work on mandrake 9.2

fyi I couldn't install ubuntu because the screen resolution couldn't be changed from 640x480 - so I couldn't see the next button. So an entirely different issue but still unsolvable at the ubuntu forum.

Edited by bikeman

Thanks for clarification on the Ubuntu issue. As you said "install", I thought it was also because of the bootloader.

If you take a look at the mounted Mandriva partition (no need to chroot into it right now), is there a /proc directory? If that one is missing or empty, then your installation is broken. No /proc = no usable system. And if the installation goes well, the system will ask you for a bootloader installation. I recommend installing grub instead of lilo.

If you take a look at the mounted Mandriva partition (no need to chroot into it right now), is there a /proc directory?

did i mention i am a newb? i am running the live cd as we converse so i have no idea how to check what you suggest. you have to tell me exactly how to do what you suggest

Edited by bikeman

Okay. You mount the /root partition again (in case you unmounted it. if it is still mounted, the much better)

mount /dev/hda5 /mnt

Open a filemanager. Konqueror (in KDE) or Nautilus (if you run Gnome desktop). Navigate with point and click until you get to

/

then search

/mnt

then

/proc

I hope that it is not empty. And as you are at it, also browse to / -> /mnt/etc and check if there is a file "lilo.conf". That is the config file of the lilo bootloader. For Grub as bootloader, navigate to / -> /mnt/boot -> /grub and check if there is a file called "menu.lst".

Huh? What you mounted is -from what I read - not the base system but the partition where your user documents are stored. Check the partitions again with typing

df

which will give you something like this

/dev/hdc2			 9,7G  1,8G  7,4G  20% /
/dev/hdc1			 101M  7,3M   88M   8% /boot
/dev/hdc5			  61G   21G   38G  36% /home

(note: I have three partitions. yours will look different)

anything outside of /mnt is on the cd?
Yes, unless it is mounted elsewhere on the system.

[root@localhost ~]# df
Filesystem			Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
none				  907M  674M  234M  75% /
/dev/hda5			 1.2G   60M  1.1G   6% /mnt
/dev/hda7			 1.2G   60M  1.1G   6% /mnt
[root@localhost ~]#

mounted hda7 instead. that only has the folders guest & Les

i don't think madriva actually installed anything

Sounds like the livecd is screwed. As arctic says, get the 2006 3 x CD's or 1 x DVD downloaded. Then use md5summer in windows to verify the md5sum of the iso to make sure it wasn't corrupted during download, and then burn the CD.

Also, check your BIOS and make sure plug and play OS is disabled, this will cause you many problems in Linux otherwise.