not very newb friendly is it! [solved]

bikeman

Booted up mandrake one cd.

Tried the live install.

Selected a non-windows partition for the install.

After install finsished my pc would no longer boot because Mandrake one had wiped out my lilo and deleted my Windows 98 MBR.

Managed to get windows back by restoring the MBR.

Still lunux-less...

Not very newb friendly is it?

Why is it so difficult to create a linux distro which actually installs as a dual boot correctly?

Please make it work, or you'll never get us newbs to switch from windowz...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which version of "Mandrake one" did you install? Do you mean "Mandriva one"? 2006? 2007?

I installed Mandrake onto a Windows machine and it went very smoothly - did it ask you about lilo and your MBR and if so what did you specify?

When you say it "wiped out your lilo" do you mean that you already had lilo before, and when you installed Mandriva it removed lilo??

Please make it work, or you'll never get us newbs to switch from windowz...
Noone here can "make it work", but we can try to help you to get it working! ;)

Using the live-CD (Mandriva ONE or any other live-CD) you can fix the bootloader problem quite easily. We are here for helping you with such things, just give us some info on your hardware and partitions.

One note: Many users have installed Mandriva ONE / Mandriva on their computers and immediately had a working dual-boot system. It is not that often that the bootloaders don't install properly.

And welcome aboad. :beer:

Must have been Mandriva One, since Mandrake One never existed! :o

Key thing to remember, at the end of the install READ the summary screen. Any red items will cause problems on reboot, so make sure they are configured. Also, make sure lilo is installed to MBR and nowhere else.

is it 2007 already?

i tried to install the latest version of mandriva one - downloaded yesterday.

i have 3 partitions

1=windows 98

2=mandrake linux

3=user linux

i answered the questions to install on part 2

it never asked me anything at all about lilo, grub, dual boot etc it just went right ahead and installed - i thought from the lack of questions it had seen my current setup and assumed correctly that i wanted dual boot.

my comment 'please make it work' really implies how can mandriva one have such a poor install routine? i believe my setup is very typical of a windows user who wants to try a dual boot. I am just surprised that the install failed so badly.

how do i sort out the bootloader?

Mandriva 2007 is still in cooker (= not yet released). If you got a good copy of Mandriva One, then it actually has a working installer that sets up dual-boot. I remember however that there was a cooker-beta release of One where setting up a bootloader failed. Are you sure you downloaded the correct one?

For setting up the booloader, the information you gave us is not enough. Please fire up the live-cd, then type in a terminal (=black monitor icon) as root user

fdisk -l

you should get something similar to this:

Disk /dev/hdc: 80.0 GB, 80060424192 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9733 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot	  Start		 End	  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1   *		   1		  13	  104391   83  Linux
/dev/hdc2			  14		1288	10241437+  83  Linux
/dev/hdc3			1289		1543	 2048287+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hdc4			1544		9733	65786175	5  Extended
/dev/hdc5			1544		9733	65786143+  83  Linux

Once you know which partition is the "/" partition (=root), mount the drive as root/superuser/administrator

mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt

Once this is done, chroot into the system

chroot /mnt

Now reinstall the bootloader

lilo -V /dev/hdc

or (if using grub)

grub-install /dev/hdc

(replace hdc with your partition code, most probably hda). If you don't get an error message, reboot the system and it should run. If it fails installing the bootloader, which error message do you get?

The version I have is the official download as obtained yesterday.

I logged in as root (not sure what you meant by root/superuser/administrator) and did as suggested as you can see below I ended up with a 'cant find' when trying to mount hda5...

[root@localhost ~]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 8622 MB, 8622931968 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1113 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

Device Boot	  Start		 End	  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *		   1		 677	 5118088+   b  W95 FAT32
/dev/hda2			 678		1113	 3296160	5  Extended
/dev/hda5			 678		 909	 1753888+  83  Linux
/dev/hda6			 910		 956	  355288+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda7			 957		1113	 1186888+  83  Linux

[root@localhost ~]# mount /dev/hda5/mnt
mount: can't find /dev/hda5/mnt in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
[root@localhost ~]#

[root@localhost ~]# mount /dev/hda5/mnt
mount: can't find /dev/hda5/mnt in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
[root@localhost ~]#

No wonder. :D You forgot a space.

mount /dev/hda5 [space] /mnt

this reads as:

mount /device/harddisk-A,partition5 at mountpoint /mnt

ok, i mount'd hda5 then stumbled at the next step..

[root@localhost ~]# mount /dev/hda5 /mnt

[root@localhost ~]# chroot /mnt

chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

[root@localhost ~]# chroot/mnt

bash: chroot/mnt: No such file or directory

[root@localhost ~]#

tried both with and without a space....

Oh, this is a bit ... unlucky. I guess some files of proc are missing. Try solving this by launching as root

mount -t proc none /mnt/proc

before you chroot into the system. If that fails, then I doubt that your install media was okay and that the installation was 100% okay.

not sure what you meant so i just carried on and as you can see it didn't work.. is this what you meant to do?

[root@localhost ~]# mount /dev/hda5 /mnt

[root@localhost ~]# chroot /mnt

chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': No such file or directory

[root@localhost ~]# chroot/mnt

bash: chroot/mnt: No such file or directory

[root@localhost ~]# mount -t proc none /mnt/proc

mount: mount point /mnt/proc does not exist

[root@localhost ~]#

arctic r u there? why the problem getting this to work?

are claims that linux is ready for mass adoption somewhat premature? i think it is going to take a lot more than a windows gui to get linux adopted by the mainstream.

perhaps it is time for me to try another distro or go back to windows?

arctic r u there? why the problem getting this to work?

are claims that linux is ready for mass adoption somewhat premature? i think it is going to take a lot more than a windows gui to get linux adopted by the mainstream.

perhaps it is time for me to try another distro or go back to windows?

Well he told you to

mount -t proc none /mnt/proc

"before you chroot into the system. If that fails, then I doubt that your install media was okay and that the installation was 100% okay. "

We are trying to run through this sytematically. If you have no /proc then the chroot will fail.

The second part is that there may have been a download error or burning error on the install.

That is the live part owrks but the CD has a fault somewhere....

This seems to happen quite often with the burning if its done at full speed.... and sometimes a .iso might be corrupted in download but its usually burning it too fast because a single error will screw up the install...

I am here. Basically it should work if you follow my advice step by step.

Please answer the following questions:

what do you get when you type

uname -a

? Please post it as the kernel number in there will reveal if you downloaded a working, stable release of if you accidently downloaded a development version. Also: When you downloaded the iso-image, did you verify that the iso matched the md5sum check (thus preventing a corrupt download)?

Restoring the bootloader with the live-cd is not as easy as with the normal install-CDs, I admit. If you have the normal install CDs, you simply pop in the 1st CD, start rescue mode, select "reinstall bootloader" and that's it. So, if Mandriva One is too problematic, either try the default install set (3 CDs) or try another distro like Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora or whatever you think might be useful for you. (take the distroquiz: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/)

Linux is ready for mass adoption (otherwise millions of users wouldn't use it), but every operating system is only as good as the hardware you throw at it and the knowledge the user posesses about an operating system. Whenever you use an operating system, you have to learn how it works. This is the same in Linux, Mac and Windows. Or did you know everything about Windows the first day you tested it? ;)

edit: Oh, Gowator was faster :)