Plugins with Firefox [solved]

laiback

Recently I have been reading about plugins and came across a site that suggested I needed flash player, as instructions were provided I thought I'd have a go. From the Adobe site I downloaded the flashplayer 7 tar for Linux, put it on my desktop and followed the notes. All went well according to the messages in the console. But I still don't have the plugin. The Adobe notes say to look in Help>About plug-ins to check that all is well, but my FF doesn't have Help>About-plugins. So I had a look in the FF help file which sent me to Edit>Preferences>Downloads, where there is a Plug-ins button, but there's nothing listed and I cannot edit the space to add anything. I noticed in a previous thread that I should check in ~.Mozilla/plugins to see that a couple of files are present, and indeed they are. I've also noticed that latter versions of flash player are not yet supported, but mine apparently as it's v7. I must be missing something, have you any suggestions?

Many thanks for your interest and time.

Running Mandy 2006 free edition

FF v 1.0.6

Edited by laiback

Try entering

about:plugins

in the URL bar of Firefox. That should tell you what's installed.

Re: Flash, the latest version for linux is 7, so any stuff made with versions 8 or 9 are not playable (or perhaps partially playable). It can be annoying when it says "you've only got version 7, click here to download the latest version", and then you click, and then it says "the latest version for your system is version 7, click here to download". :huh:

You could of course just try it out with a flash file, for example this one to see if your plugin works.

Dear neddie

Well I never, I have 2 versions installed according to about:plugins. V7 r68 v7 r63. Wonder how I got 2?, never mind. And the URL you quoted appears to work, a cartoon sequence.

So why doesn't the Edit>Prefences>Downloads list any plugins? Is there a bug in FF?

On further inspection I see that the BBC site I mentioned above needs v8, so I shouldn't expect moving pictures should I.

Many thanks

Edited by laiback

You mention in your first post that there is a Plug-ins button under Edit>Preferences>Downloads. I do not have this on my FF 1.5.

So why doesn't the Edit>Prefences>Downloads list any plugins? Is there a bug in FF?

It was my impression that the Download Preferences in FF refers to actions to be taken when you download a file from the web. It does not refer to plugins you have downloaded.

Edited by daniewicz

You mention in your first post that there is a Plug-ins button under Edit>Preferences>Downloads. I do not have this on my FF 1.5.
No, I have this button too (FF 1.0.2). On mine it just lists rpm and swf, but I usually use Mozilla as my browser so that's probably right. On Mozilla I don't have that button, but about:plugins also lists the Java plugin.

Yeah it's a pain with the version 8 flash files, but you didn't give the BBC link so I can't check it. Some v8 files work, kind of, others don't at all. One day Adobe will catch up.