newb... trying to get wireless card recognized

Guest toyarmy

i did a brief scan of previous threads and found nothing that covered what i havnt myself.

ive gotten rid of the preinstalled ndiswrapper.

i dl'd ndiswrapper.

i dl'd wireless_tools.

i even got build-essentials.

but im getting hung up in tar.gz installs.

the "./configure" command returns "no such file or directory" and "make" gets "command not found.

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

sorry. thank you for welcoming me. ill do my best to give the information requested. i cd into wireless_tools.28/

so heres where we are...

[root@localhost wireless_tools.28]# ./configure

bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

hope that helps?

Was there any particular reason why you couldn't download and install Ndiswrapper via Mandriva's MCC (ie. URPMI)?

I'm asking because I recently had to get a wireless LAN USB device installed for a friend. I simply installed Ndiswrapper via MCC, got his MS-Windows driver CD, plugged in the wireless device and used MCC to use Ndiswrapper to install the driver from the CD.

I had to reboot the PC (for some strange reason), but after that all was working just fine. I never had to deal with ./configure at all.

Add to the above the fact that the ./configure script should not be run as root!

Further, the "wireless_tools.28" package you have downloaded includes a text file named INSTALL, which you obviously did not read. To compile your modules for that package, you should run just

make

and then

su -c "make install"

for installing the driver.

But since the above things already exist as Mandriva RPM's, you shouldn't mess too much with sources and binary tarballs- especially since you're not familiar with them yet...

Edited by scarecrow

I use ndiswrapper with Mandy, and all you have to do is this:

urpmi ndiswrapper

The best thing to do if you want a package, and not sure if it's available, is to search the repository, like this:

urpmf --name ndiswrapper

this would show that ndiswrapper exists, and then you can use the first command I showed to install it.