wlan connection problem

Guest stjerna

hi! I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with a Dell 1470 Dual band WLAN PCI card built in. I´m using ndiswrapper. the problem is that I can´t conect to the networks i find in the wireless networks window. I have tried at home and in some cafees with wlan. but no luck so far. any suggestions on how to fix this?? thanx!

-stjerna

Are the networks using security? If so, try using without security on the access point. Can you post some errors, so we can see what's happening?

What chipset is your card? Have you followed the ndiswrapper wiki guide?

I checked the ndiswrapper wiki list of "known to work network cards" and found my card there. the chipset is Broadcom BCM4319.

I have tried on both a secure network, my girlfriends, and at the university´s open network. I have no problem detecting the networks, but when I press the "conect" button it just says "conection failed". I am a linux noob so if there are anywhere else to find error reporst, please tell! :huh:

OK, probably best way is not to use the GUI tools. I've gotten them to work, but each time you reboot, it never connects automatically.

Things you have to remember, follow the ndiswrapper installation guide from the command:

ndiswrapper -i filename.inf

where filename.inf is your driver. Now, you've done this bit, so you're OK from there. I'd make sure your access point is open, and not secured, it makes testing easy.

Now, after you've done this, check /etc/modprobe.conf. You should have something like:

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

this has to exist, and the ndiswrapper installation guide will have given a command to do this automatically for you. If this exists, great. Next thing is to do this:

modprobe ndiswrapper

to get it up and running. To make sure it's done each time you reboot your computer, add this to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.preload:

ndiswrapper

there's no "modprobe" because this isn't required, only the module name is required, hence only ndiswrapper listed. This will mean wlan0 will be activated each time you turn on your computer.

Now, does your access point provide DHCP addresses? If not, you will have to use static IP's. My access point doesn't, and it doesn't relay DHCP either, which means I'm forced to use static ip addresses.

When you come to configuring security, use WPA-PSK with TKIP, this is what I use. I have a config file at home for wpa_supplicant, which is what you'll use for getting your access point secured.

If you are seeing the wireless access points, ndiswrapper is probably loaded and working. You can try connecting from the command line if you know the essid you are trying to connect to. It's pretty easy. Open a console and run:

$ su
<enter root password>
# iwconfig wlan0 essid  <insert essid name>
# iwconfig wlan0 key  <insert WEP hex key> Note, skip step if WEP is not used
# dhclient wlan0

The above assumes the wireless interface is wlan0. If not, substitue the appropriate interface name, eg. eth0, etc. The above will not work with WPA; for that you need wpa supplicant. WEP, both 64 bit and 128 bit, generally works fine with ndiswrapper but there are sometimes issues with 128 bit WEP and ndiswrapper. Also, the above assumes wlan0 is set up for dhcp rather than statically configured and dhclient is being used. That's true for mandriva and most linux distros but slackware and slack based distros use dhcpcd instead of dhclient. If nothing else, running the above will give you some info on what is going wrong if you can't connect. If you get no errors when running the above, you should be connected.

in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts do you have an ifcfg-wlan0 script? if you didn't do the setup manually, then this may not have been created (who knows?).

do you know that the wireless lan card works? does it work in windows? i had a nic that i struggled with for about a month which could detect the networks but never connect. after trying it on several different computers (some with windows) and going through several downloads of drivers and ndiswrapper, the nic was realized to be the problem.

good luck!

hi! I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with a Dell 1470 Dual band WLAN PCI card built in. .

. . I can´t conect to the networks i find in the wireless networks window.

Hi. I have tried the Madriva One 2007 (beta 2) in my Dell Lattitude 620 which has the same card. The card is recognised straight out of the box as a 1470 - but the chipset is reported as 4318 rather than 4319. It doesn't seem to see any networks either!