Can't get wireless networking working....

carlito

I've been working on this for a few days now, and it's about to drive me crazy. When both my pc's are running windoze, it works just fine, but I prefer not to use that os anymore. Not real sure what kind of router I have, it just says IEEE802.11g wireless broadband router, the usb adapter is an edimax, when I have the usb adapter hooked up to my girlfriends pc and the router on my pc, it shows a decent signal strength, usually about 70%, but it won't share the connection (I'm still using dialup). I tried to setup internet connection sharing through mcc, that didn't work, so I read the tutorial by Qchem, couldn't really get it to work that way either. I can't use the usb on my pc, I found a rfc1201 gzipped file in my /kernel/drivers/net/arcnet folder, unzipped it, did a modprobe, found that the module was loaded after running lsmod | grep rfc1201, and I still get nothing. I downloaded the firmware for the adapter from sourceforge, ran make, it put 2 items in my firmware folder, both with a *.fw extension, which apparently I can't load as a module. If I load the rfc1201.c, how would I create a wlan device? I tried that through mcc, it gave me a list of drivers to pick from, which mine were not listed. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Sorry, should've specified that, I have my ethernet card ran into the WAN port of my router, supplying the internet connection to the router, and I can connect to the internet with my dial up modem with no problem, either with linux or windows. I have the usb adapter installed on my other pc, it receives a good signal, about 70%, when I'm running win2000 on mine and win98 on the other, it works just fine, when I switch to linux on my pc, it no longer works. I've tried the wizard, no luck, and I followed the directions from the tutorial in the networking section of this forum, still no luck. Is wireless connection sharing even possible between linux and windows?

Yes, it's connected to the WAN port of my router. Unfortunately, we do not have high speed internet service in the area where I live, so I'm trying to do this with dial up service. As far as I could figure, my dial up modem is the interface accessing the internet, my ethernet card, being plugged into the WAN port of the router is providing the connection to the router, and from there it should send the connection to the usb adapter hooked to my other pc. Like I've said, it works fine when both machines are running windows, I can access the internet from my machine via dial up modem, once connected I go to the other machine and open a browser, point it to some random page, and it connects no problem, but if I have to use windoze all the time, I'd just as soon not even turn my pc on. Thanks for all the help and for being patient with someone trying to find the time to get out of the noob stage....

You'd be better off using internet-connection sharing, although would require both machines on at the same time.

Normally the modems don't let you use both USB and the LAN type port at the same time, maybe it could be because of this you're experiencing trouble.