Time for upgrading to 2007?

arctic

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry ffi but I have just gone through all of my postings and cannot seem to find it. I was pretty sure I made one on the subject. Must be old age catching up , or something.

Hello Arctic. No I haven't made a bug report. In fact I wouldn't know how to make one. I just gave up on the problem, deciding it wasn't worth the effort to persist with it and to just wait for the final official. Since I do not have any expertise in bugfinding etc I could not see how my experiences would help in this case especially with something that is fairly new technology (SATA) and the OS so close to final. I'll be guided by what ever you suggest.

It was only when I realized that the particular kernel version was the common factor in my earlier and my present difficulty that I decided to comment here.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Just an FYI "Sunna RC2" is out on some of the mirrors now. I'm downloading the Sunna kde cd's all 8 of them. Going to try making the dvd out of them. don't feel like installing the ati drivers again.

There are also the free(no proprietary drivers)CD's available for KDE Gnome in One/cd and also the free dvd.

Going to do a fresh install I have a few interesting privilege issues with my /usr/share folder and a few others being root only. I must have done something I shouldn't have again :P

I'm downloading the Sunna kde cd's all 8 of them...

This IS paranoid, unless you have an ISP-sized pipe available 24/7...

8 CD's=approx. 5.6 gig of HIGHLY dubious data- which will be replaced in the next few days...

Each to his own, I guess.

An online update could also do the trick, DarkFoss.

The way I understood it, the 8 KDE CDs are all just different versions of the live "One" CD, they've just got different combinations of obscure languages on them. So why you would want all 8 and why you would want to "make a DVD out of them" is not too clear... :unsure: There are also install CDs (sets of 3) and an install DVD if you want those instead.

PS/ Gotta love how in the release notes for sunna they mention the mandriva-one-2007-mona-kde7.iso and then describe it as a "Gnome live CD" - sigh.

Hehe call it an exercise in futility. :P

Anyways I changed my mind after the first One cd and I am downloading the dvd instead.

As for bandwidth well Comcast takes enough of my money might as well use it :D

I've tried the online updates but it doesn't fix the permission issues kde cannot upgrade the crystal fonts.

screensaver is just black. Can't install the usb webcam drivers missing a .ko module even though I'm using the last 2 mm-kernels. The regular ones can't find all my memory even if I add 2048 to grub.

I'm better off starting from scratch. Atleast i had a fun week learning to install the Ati drivers, Flash 7, Adobe Acrobat, Real Player 10 .. and trying out different media players for the web. I got most sites I want working pretty good except for my local sports station.

http://tuner1.dc1.sonixtream.com/solon/med...mp;type=Firefox

Most seem to freeze after a minute or 2 no matter what player/codex I've tried.

The way I understood it, the 8 KDE CDs are all just different versions of the live "One" CD, they've just got different combinations of obscure languages on them. So why you would want all 8 and why you would want to "make a DVD out of them" is not too clear... :unsure: There are also install CDs (sets of 3) and an install DVD if you want those instead.

PS/ Gotta love how in the release notes for sunna they mention the mandriva-one-2007-mona-kde7.iso and then describe it as a "Gnome live CD" - sigh.

I miss read it myself not sure how that would have turned out :P

Done, in a way. I'm now a (quite) happy Mona user :)

Actually, I updated my 2006 install to cooker (easy-urpmi + urpmi --auto-install)

The upgrade path was the most dangerous one I ever got, and the hardest you could imagine! Mostly my fault, though.

Now almost everything seems to work, and frankly, I like the new look, and it is faster :)

Yves.