The Linux killer app: KDE's Konqueror

ilia_kr

I'm a die hard advocate for the Konqueror. Fast and efficient for working.

With the Kparts - plugins i can open a directory read a file click back, go to the next file all quite quickly. One thing i love it the bookmarks.

I read alot and use kpdf in konqueror mostly, just right click open in new tab.. I can then stay in the browser, PDF reader, video player, text file reader.

I have some scripts also even added as bookmarks and i can launch them quickly..

love it

I don't think the author really even started exploiting konqueror yet.

One small note, Opera has the split screen thingy too.

Yes but it doesn't work efficiently on other protcols than http. (perhaps ftp)

I tend to do everyday web browsing in firefox but I do things like maintain a web site using konqueror ... because you can do so much more... for instance ftp can be done with copy/paste to/from local directories but it also supports fish:/ , samba:/ media:/ and even system:/ and these can be combined with powerful profiles in split screens or tabs etc.

The more complex the task the more konqueror seems to excel.

i really expected this thread to have more posts.

as much as forever i was a kde advocate, i never got into the konqueror. it seems fine and i'm sure it's a good browser. i remain a fan of the firefox. i have no concrete reason for my prejudice, and may even give konqueror a try later today.

Never liked Konqueror... or KDE for that matter. It's hard to call something a killer app if I had to use Firefox half the time when pages wouldn't render properly in it...

Yes but have you ever tried installing a font through firefox??? or organising files etc.

The beauty of konqueror is in its integration... you can click on say a .ttf located anywhere and just install it.

You can open a tab and browse samba AND/OR fish AND/OR system:/ or media:/ and its alll seamless.

I don't really use it as a primary web browser but for a lot of things it is far superior to firefox (indeed you can't do 90% of the things konqueror does in firefox) and the web browsing side is simply one extra protocol for konqueror...

Also I don't see anything wrong with konqueror's redering on validated pages without errors. ;)

Each to their own I say, but for me personally I find Konq's interface a little too "busy" for my liking.

You actually mean default interface.... because you can completely change the interface and save it as a profile (add/remove buttons etc) ;)

Never thought of konqueror as being much more than a mediocre file manager. I would rather have Powerdesk which doesn't exist for Linux for file management.

Same as above, its pretty much possible to make it look and act how you like..

Each to their own I say, but for me personally I find Konq's interface a little too "busy" for my liking.

You actually mean default interface.... because you can completely change the interface and save it as a profile (add/remove buttons etc) ;)

Yes but that time would be better spent working, rather than tweaking, especially given that for example nautilus gives me a clean interface that is simple and does what I want from a file manager, and that firefox does what I want from a web browser with a simple interface.

I have still yet to find a qt theme that doesn't hurt my eyes, but that's my personal opinion. Like I said, each to their own.

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

You can open a tab and browse samba AND/OR fish AND/OR system:/ or media:/ and its alll seamless.

I agree. All of the above, especially fish, are terrific features. Fish allows for very efficient, secure file transfers without having to set up a formal samba or NFS network. But this is really a kde feature as you can use fish with any kde app and kde services must be running on all boxes on the local network for it to work network wide. However, konqueror integrates all these features very nicely. If you never or rarely need or use these services, then konqueror is probably overkill; it's just not worth the time investment in learning and configuring konqueror for something rarely used.

it's just not worth the time investment in learning and configuring konqueror for something rarely used.

Why should you learn and configure something you do not use? I never heard of these features and thus didn't messed with them and Konqueror worked fine.

Edited by ilia_kr