kmail cannot connect to host

skinky

Hi all,

My friend has recently changed from dialup to broadband internet connection. When using dialup she had no problems with kmail. However, since changing to broadband, kmail gives an error about not being able to connect to the host server. Internet access is working with konqueror but for some reason kmail does not seem to be using the broadband connection.

I deleted the old internet connection (ppp0) in drakconf but that made no difference. Any suggestions? Thanks.

you mean your friend change from dialup to broadbnd with the same ISP? or to another one? is the problem occur when sending email?

make sure to change the smtp server to the smtp of your broadband provider, that if they allow their clients to use their smtp service for them to send email.

Unless you are connecting through a proxy then perhaps your ISP has a different port or server for broadband users?

However the most likely is that the mail server was using a different authentification on dial up.

If you give the ISP we might be able to help find what's different

A test you can try is from the CLI just do a ping to the mail server.

We live in NZ and the ISP is Slingshot. OK, will go to her place tomorrow and try to ping the mail server. If no joy there I'll bring her PC home and see what I can do. I might just reinstall Mandriva because its needs updating anyway (I think she is still using Mandrake 9 or 10.0). Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.