Mandriva 2007 RC1 Mona is on the mirrors

dexter11

Some of you may not have heard that 2007 RC1 is out - seems like ISOs are on the mirrors now. The announcement is in the webteam's blog here. Release notes are here. The list of mirrors is here. The list of release critical bugs in cooker is here.

Of course always report (or vote for) bugs in the Mandriva bugzilla. These are the known bugs (from Release Notes):

* Anti-aliasing may not be correctly activated in KDE, you must use kcontrol to force it

* Ia_Ora may not be selected by default under KDE, you must have the package ia_ora-kde and ia_ora-kde-kwin installed and activated in kcontrol-> Style

* rpmdrake is not uninstalling packages correctly

* bluetooth pairing does not work unless you install the bluez-gnome package and run 'bt-applet'

* you must run the command 'hciconfig hci0 piscan' as root to make your bluetooth adapter discoverable by other devices

* text install does not work

And it works. I am writing this on 2007 RC1 KDE One. I can confirm the first two known bug. But apart from that it's already better than 2006 was when it was released as stable. XGL out of the box, setup my ADSL in a minute, everything seem to work as it should. I'll take a better look around tomorrow.

I hope it will not be Ubuntu. I don't want a brown Mandriva box. :P

We will see if there will be some hype with Mdv2007 or not. I guess most Mdv users don't see much reason for creating some artificial hype, especially as big hype creates big criticism, too. See Ubuntu. They have created the hype and they are hated for that ugly in-your-face propagation by a considerable number of Linux users. That does not mean that Ubuntu is a bad distro. It is simply their overly vocal community that is getting a bit on everyones nerves. :D

Yesterday I was writing from KDE One but I downloaded a Gnome One too and I am writing this from it. My experiences are not so positive than with the Kde One.

I chose my keyboard layout at boot but it wasn't loaded instead it used English layout I had to use keyboarddraketo set it up correctly.

Setting up my ADSL was very easy, but I coudn't browse the web I had to switch off the firewall in MCC first.

Itried to change the window decoration in Gnome control center (where the close, maximize, minimize buttons are) and it only changed its color but the close etc buttons stayed the same.

What's really strange is that yesterday evening I tried the KDE live CD and none of these problems were there. Is it the new Gnome? But the last time these were working with the Gnome One (Tyr).

Anyway XGL works as it should. Also everything else I tried works as it should. Parts of MCC (loacedrake, menu chooser etc) can be launched from the Gnome control center. Though only the apps of the GCC are in the menu Gnome control center is not.

I chose my keyboard layout at boot but it wasn't loaded instead it used English layout I had to use keyboarddraketo set it up correctly.
The keyboard was detected perfectly on my box.
Setting up my ADSL was very easy, but I coudn't browse the web I had to switch off the firewall in MCC first.
I could browse immediately. I even didn't have to turn off ipv6 this time for browsing the web. :)
Itried to change the window decoration in Gnome control center (where the close, maximize, minimize buttons are) and it only changed its color but the close etc buttons stayed the same.
Is this with XGL or without it? I cannot recreate that on my box (I don't use XGL).

http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=52792

So apparently if ther's XGL then there's no la Ora.

That's not completely true. You can use the controls theme, just not the window decoration - but as adam pointed out there is a themeable branch of compiz, and it looks like they're going to try using it with the la Ora theme.