First impressions of AIGLX and Xgl 3D technologies

wilcal

I had a few minutes last night to bring up

Tyr ( latest 2007 Cooker ). I tinkered a little

with the AIGLX and Xgl 3D thingy. I was wondering

if anyone else had the opportunity to play with it?

You can select in the setup to turn it off and

that's kinda where I ended up.

I had a few minutes last night to bring up

Tyr ( latest 2007 Cooker ). I tinkered a little

with the AIGLX and Xgl 3D thingy. I was wondering

if anyone else had the opportunity to play with it?

You can select in the setup to turn it off and

that's kinda where I ended up.

It is very easy to set up/turn off with the new drak3d tool, unfortunately gcompizthemer seg faults every time so I am not able to apply some of the nice new window border themes available yet. I really like compiz because it makes mocing windows feel really natural and it was the one thing I missed from my Ubuntu install.

I've tried it too. But so far, I only managed to get AIGLX working with an ATi graphics-card. I tried Xgl with a nVidia graphics-card, but I had no luck with this so far. It looks nice, ans I'm eager to see it in the final release.

I've been running XGL for a few monts now, and I really enjoy it. It was key in my (finally) making use of virtual desktops, as I could quickly and easily drag a window from one desktop to the other (ctrl+alt+arrow i think it is). very nice.

I've been running XGL for a few monts now, and I really enjoy it. It was key in my (finally) making use of virtual desktops, as I could quickly and easily drag a window from one desktop to the other (ctrl+alt+arrow i think it is). very nice.

I'm curious as to what kind of a graphic card your using? And do you have it running with one of the Mandriva Beta's?

I finally managed to get AIGLX up and running, by changing my graphic-card to an ATi. Didn't get Glx running on an nVidia-grpahics car, though.

I have a nvidia GeForce FX 5200 videocard. I installed tyr (2007 beta 3) and tinkered with Xgl 3d desktop a bit. To get it working I installed the nvidia-dkms rpm's from PLF and I used my same xorg.conf file from my 2006 installation with the addition of the followin line in the Device section:

Option "RenderAccel" "false"

See https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=32900 for details.

Use the new drak3d tool to setup/turn on.

Issues:

I could only have 1 desktop instead of my usual 4.

Don't know, but I thought there was supposed to be a cube on the desktop... I tinkered with the drak3d tool but could not see how to get a cube on the desktop. Maybe it's me.

carlash

To get it working I installed the nvidia-dkms rpm's from PLF and I used my same xorg.conf file from my 2006 installation with the addition of the followin line in the Device section:

Thanks, will try that one.

I have a nvidia GeForce FX 5200 videocard. I installed tyr (2007 beta 3) and tinkered with Xgl 3d desktop a bit. To get it working I installed the nvidia-dkms rpm's from PLF and I used my same xorg.conf file from my 2006 installation with the addition of the followin line in the Device section:

Issues:

I could only have 1 desktop instead of my usual 4.

Don't know, but I thought there was supposed to be a cube on the desktop... I tinkered with the drak3d tool but could not see how to get a cube on the desktop. Maybe it's me.

carlash

What I've noticed is if I try and enable multible desktops, the system resets it to 1, but the rotating cube desktop is really four virtual desktops anyway - which is my preferred setup. Now I'm trying to figure out how to enable the mouse wheel to rotate the desktop cube as I have become accustom to using that method of switching desktops.

If anyone cares: I'm using 2007 Beta 3 "Tyr" 3-cd release installed on P4-640j (overclocked to 4.133), nVidia 6600 gt oc with dual 19" Dell dvi monitors. I'm getting 13000 fps plus from glxgears.

Since 2006 I have had no problems using the DKMS packaged nvidia drivers. This method makes driver updates really easy compared to kernel recompile. You may have to wait a month longer for the dkms-nvidia package to be available, but big deal. www.SeerofSouls.com gets them rather quickly. I did not disable "RenderAccel" yet, but may just to see if it makes any difference.

I have manually set my screen resolution to 100x100 dpi and now I'm attempting to improve font look by setting up 100dpi fonts and sub-hinting.

Hi There,

I am trying to configure compiz (on mona recently installed) and am quite stuck.

Here is what I ve done :

-installed nvidia drivers NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8774-pkg1 and installed them

-configured compiz with drak3d tool

-put Option "RenderAccel" "false"

No success. If I leave it like that (with XGL=yes) I loose the direct rendering, If I put XGL=no the direct rendering comes back.

Otherwise I get a proper 3d acceleration to play diverse games so the nvidia drivers are working, I also tinker with my settings thanx to nvclock and that works fine too.

Am i missing the obvious or is the nvidia driver not ready for XGL?

Stef

:wall:

Edited by sjaglin@yahoo.co.uk

Why did you put in RenderAccel false? It is not needed, it was only for older nvidia drivers which didnt support xorg 7.1, you only need to use the drak3d tool.

With xgl on, glxinfo will say no direct rendering btw (but it does anyway).

Ok I ll start by removing that...