FLAC on K3B [unsolved]

RadioEar

Radioear. You are ripping a cd music disc to flac and expecting to make a music disc with that flac???.

Can't be done with any burner unless the flac is converted back to cd music format so what is the point of doing all that???

When you rip to flac it becomes a digital file so you can only store it as DATA file on a cd-r or cd-rw.

That is why you rip in the first place, namely so it becomes a digita data file that can be compressed and so take up less space on a cd-r disc and consequently store much more music on a disc than the usual cd music format. Some of the compression formats are inheritly lossy and others much less so. Obviously for the best practical quality, you want the least loss for the best possible sound. If you want the best possible sound then you stick with the next to zero loss format which is the music cd format.

Your seeming problem is not a problem at all and has nothing to do with K3B or any other burner program.

Cheers. John.

AussieJohn, What I'm doing is building play list CDs from CDs or downloads from the net, for my listening pleasure in the vehicle or my woodshop.

This was something I did as a teen with 8 tracks and then cassettes. Today, I'm using CDs. It's quick and easy on a computer to build a play list a then burn it. With M$ I was using .wav files and Linux .ogg files. .flac was something wanted to try out.

And yes, you can burn CDs from .flac files.

Edited by RadioEar

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I said in the first place you can burn a flac file to a cd but it will still be a data cd and NOT a MUSIC CD.

But there's nothing to stop you creating an audio cd using flacs, wavs, oggs, mp3s or anything else as a source medium. You just need to do the decompression and translation on the way. For example you can take your digital music and make an audio CD from them that you can play in your car stereo / kitchen CD player (which might not be able to understand the other formats). Obviously using a lossless compression format like Flac as a source would then be better than using oggs or mp3s.

<OffTopic>

By the way John, you seem to have an extra (color=blue) in your sig!

</OffTopic>

As I said in the first place you can burn a flac file to a cd but it will still be a data cd and NOT a MUSIC CD.

The same goes for OGG, MP3 or any other form of compressed digital music.

Cheers. John.

Hey John... As long as they play in the CD player in the truck, van or in the woodshop they are music CDs or as good, What ever... they play, and sound good to boot!

Thanks Neddie about the colour bit. Just fixed it.

I know that you can make a music cd from compressed sources. That was not my point. My point was and is that a music cd is a music cd and a cd made with compressed formatted digital is a data cd and no amount of playing with words changes that.

Radioear, I know the point you are making but please keep in mind that plenty of newbies come to MUB for help and you did pose a question at the beginning of this thresd that seemed that you were asking for help because of some possible confusion.

My answer was an attempt to solve that apparent confusion. Please don't brush it off as a joke.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

My point was and is that a music cd is a music cd and a cd made with compressed formatted digital is a data cd and no amount of playing with words changes that.

No John, sorry but you're wrong. He's making a music cd using compressed digital files as sources. Yes it's possible, and yes it is useful, as RadioEar said for playing in any old CD player. Read my last post again. :)

Original quote:-

"I just started ripping audio CDs in the FLAC format and storing them on the hard drive. Amorok plays them back just fine. I discovered however, I can't make audio CDs with K3B in the FLAC format,...."

End of story.

OK chaps, stop arguing, you'll make me want to close my first post. I don't really want to do that ;)

:evilmod:

Originally, radioear couldn't, because he was making a data cd from the files. The solution then suggested installing something, which then means it'll convert it back to original CD AUDIO and therefore playable in standard CD players.

Original quote:-

"I just started ripping audio CDs in the FLAC format and storing them on the hard drive. Amorok plays them back just fine. I discovered however, I can't make audio CDs with K3B in the FLAC format,...."

End of story.

I see where you are coming from now. "I can't make audio CDs with K3B in the FLAC format,...." instead it could have been I can't make audio CDs with K3B FROM the FLAC format,.... Anyway I can't seem to setup K3B to do just that.

Thank you Radioear.

Myself, I haven't tried using K3B to convert compressed formats back to the format required to make a Music Cd but Hopefully some one can come up with a way to do it.

On the couple of ocassions I wanted to convert mp3 to Music CD format, I used CDEX in Windows but have never needed to do so since being in Linux these past years.

UPDATE:-

I just tried K3B. Selected AudioCD. Went to the tracks I wanted to convert by using the K3Bs file access and highlighted the ones I wanted and right clicked to add to Add to Project.

Then selected Project------>Convert Tracks and let it do its thing. The converted tracks will appear in you home account with a title Unknown and if you look in there you will see all the track titles in wav format.

Go back to k3b and now remove all the files shown in the bottom panel. when done use the k3b file menu to find the newly made folder in your account with all the wav files and select them to appear in the bottom window of k3b. Then go ahead and burn.

The disc I just made, I tried in my dvdplayer and it played correctly.

UPDATEExtra:- It plays perfectly in Kaffiene as an Audio CD(MusicCD)

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

• 3 months later...
A bump.

Hello Radioear. Have you tried the routine I outlined in my previous post ???.

It is worth a try if you haven't.

Cheers. John.

I know it's been a while, I could not get the conversion, I would like to try to get K3B to do it, and it's possible.

Gul apparently did it with K3B:

But it was easier then I thought. I installed flac with easy-urpmi. Then I loaded K3b and imported those .flac-files into an audio-cd project and K3b started burning. No problems.

Apparently, installing flac:

urpmi flac

should get the flac support, and then import the flac files into an audio-cd project and burn the CD.

I'm going to try this again... If anyone remembers what I was trying to do.

I can't make audio CDs with K3B from the FLAC format

[root@THE_MACHINE woodworker]# urpmi flac

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/devel/2006.0/i586/media/main/flac-1.1.2-4mdk.i586.rpm
installing flac-1.1.2-4mdk.i586.rpm from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
Preparing...					 #############################################
  1/1: flac				  #############################################
[root@THE_MACHINE woodworker]#

OK, K3B still will not handle flac files.

Edited by RadioEar

OK, K3B still will not handle flac files.

urpmi audiokonverter

will give you an 'easy to use' right-click converter, then you can burn the converted files to cd

I know this isn't exactly what you are after... but it will work.

[root@THE_MACHINE woodworker]# urpmi audiokonverter
no package named audiokonverter
[root@THE_MACHINE woodworker]#

No, No good. :wall: