Canon ip 1500 printer

Caraibes

The Canon website listed in the forum you directed us to is not responding.

I tried 8hrs ago and again a few minutes ago.

The forum itself is okay and the information excellent. Just can't get the rpm and dependencies.

I don't need it for myself but for two of my Linux friends who I look after. The third and newest one has an Epson Photo RX530 (was my recommendation and was accepted) so I was able to get the appropiate scanner driver iscan and the appropiate printer driver from Epsons own Japanese based Linux website.

It is disgusting that Canon doesn't do a similar arrangement for its Linux customers. The very fact that the website for Canon drivers is Canon-UK seems to point to the efforts of the Canon people in UK doing their best to help Linux users with only token, if any, help from Canon Headquarters in Japan. Although you make excellent Printers and Scanners............Shame on you Canon.

Cheers. John

Edited by AussieJohn

Reading the post, they say the print quality is crap too. One guy said the turboprint driver was better, but he wasn't going to spend 30 euros for a printer driver, when you could buy a printer for that :o

I would never buy a Canon printer, or in fact, anything Canon now, purely because they don't have decent Linux support.

I have a Canon BJC-2100 at home. If I try to print under Linux, it comes out grey, not black. Crap, it's like using draft mode under Windows!

Now, this is the funny part. I have the printer connected to a Linux machine at home, I'm using samba to share it with Windows, and the printer is accessible via cups and shared with samba. If I print from Windows to this printer, the stuff comes out fine - because you're using the Windows driver, although the printer is connected to the Linux machine.

HP have great Linux support for their printers, and even the drivers supplied with Linux without downloading ones from HP work fine, and excellent quality.

It appears that the entire Europe-Asia-Middle East website aspects of Canon are out. Lord help any Eurpoean customers wanting help or info. I tried every connotation of Canon for Europe but they all linked to the same website address which doesn't respond.

Way to go Canon............... just look after Oceania and the Americas, like the rest of the world doesn't matter.

I am so disgusted that I am now adding Canon to my total product Brand Blacklist which also includes Sony. I will also do my darnndest to discourage people from buying ANY of their products.

Just of interest I compared the list of printer models available in the USA as compared to Australia and it seem that OZ gets most of the elcheapo limited model life versions despite Australia having one of Canons important R&D Centres here.

I have to quit now or I won't be able to stop the rant. :wall::wall::wall: .

Cheers all. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Just a bump.

Can some members plese test and see if they can raise the Canon website in Europe or UK ???

Just in case I am the difficulty. It seems strange that such a strstegically important site would be down for so long, such as 2 to 3 days.

Thanks in advance. John.

There's another ftp Japanese site for Cannon drivers too.

ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/

You could probably cross reference with Linuxprinting.org to see if any of those available match your models.

There are src.rmp's too.

My torrent just finished downloading the Mandriva beta 3 dvd. I'll test later to see if the pixma mp 500 drivers from there work. I've tried them in Kubuntu 6.06.1 using alien they seemed to compile and made the mp500.ppd. I was able to see and select it however the printer just did not respond even after restarting cups.

I also tried it in Sabayon (gentoo based live dvd) everything seemed to compile.. there were some dependency errors. While I did not get a failure to install message I was unable to find the mp500 .ppd

Too much of a noob for that distro I guess :P

I didn't realise that Cannon support was so weak for Linux.. I got a great deal on the MP 500.. using the euro firmware I am able to print on cd/dvds. I bought the cd/dvd tray on e-bay. Here in the states if you want to print on cd's a printer will cost you 400$ . I bought mine for 150$ and the tray was 20.00 more sent from Japan.

Anyway there's a nice site that tells you how to enable printing to cd/dvd's for various Cannon models.

http://pixma.allhyper.com/ Or the one I prefer http://fiveeasysteps.proboards2.com/index.cgi?

seems the first link is the new homepage for the second one. I didn't realize he had changed the layout.

Edited by DarkFoss

Yes Coverup, it was and thanks for checking in the first place.

Although I have tried a whole heap of things in MCC in relation to internet settings I still cannot get the site to load.

I am sure Telstra would not have a block on the site as I suspect that you are using Bigpond too.

Any one got any ideas here. My access to every other website is aok as far as I know because I have never ever had any difficulty in the past.

John.